Hi to all from a new member in Washington State

Candy11

Songster
9 Years
Apr 16, 2014
My name is Candy and my husband Warren and I raised 11 kids. 3 boys,8 girls
(Whew!). We have recently inherited a farm house on 10 wooded acres. I am new to chickens and we currently have 6 Orp girls and a nice Orp rooster. We just got 6 more chicks...3 white Australorps and 3 black sex link. So far so good but I'm sure I will need some advice along the way. We just moved our 3 month old Orps to the barn with their"man". I'd love to hear from anyone.

images

Welcome to BYC!

So glad you could join our community! Don't you just love the Orps? I think they are one of the best breeds around. So docile, friendly and great layers too.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Make yourself at home and welcome to our flock!

Have you checked out BYC's awesome Learning Center abov?, If you go to the Raising Backyard chickens forum you will find (right) side tabs that will take you to threads that should cover most of what you need to know.

If you can't find what you need- just give us a "holler."

Hey..does anyone know how to introduce new pullets to the flock. I have 6 Orps and an Orp rooster. My new chicks won't be ready for a while but I'd like to be prepared when the time comes.

When the pullets are about 3 months old, I like to the introductions going. I put the new birds in a cage or behind a fenced off area but within the flock. Everybody sees, nobody touches. I leave them in this fashion for 3 or 4 weeks. This way, not only does this give the pullets time to grow, but the original flock works out much of the pecking order from behind wire and nobody gets hurt. Then on mixing day, most things go well with little if any aggression since they are all used to each other by now. I keep an eye on them carefully that first day, and for the rest of that week. Always intervene if it turns bloody.

Good luck with your flock!

Back
Top Bottom