Hi - Total Noob Here in Ohio!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ldyjarhead, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Ldyjarhead

Ldyjarhead Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2009
    South/Central OH
    I've been reading non-stop for a couple of days now and think I'm caught up, so time to pop in and say hi! A writer friend got chickens recently and she pointed me in the direction of BYC.

I'm Marie Anne, retired Marine with two grown sons. I was born n raised in NH and although I've lived in a boatload of places, I'm halfway settled in south/central Ohio.

I've had horses in the past and of course dogs and cats, but new to chickens. I live on about an acre in a rural area with cattle, sheep and farmland all around me. I haven't got my chickens yet, but will be working on the coop and pen this weekend so hopefully I'll be ready for them soon.

I want eggs and didn't want to wait until spring to get chicks and then have to wait that much longer until they get to laying, but found a lady just up the road from me that raises several breeds and she has 6 Barred Rock/New Hampshire mix pullets she'll sell me. Might get a few eggs through the winter, but I know not to expect any, and will still be a nice winter project for me.

That's me in a nut(egg?)shell. Glad to be here and know I'll be picking your brains as things get rolling around here.

2. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Welcome, [​IMG]

You will find all you need to know here, and you will make many wonderful friends.

This time last year I was a complete newbie too. You will do fine and your place sounds ideal, Good luck to you.

Jena. [​IMG]

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi Marie Anne! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us!

4. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    [​IMG]

I got my first chickens last year in December. One was laying and the other two started within the month. I had at least two eggs every day all winter! They may surprise you.

5. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    [​IMG] from Indiana

6. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Welcome from one Buckeye State newby to another!
    Are you coming to Columbus this weekend to the fairgrounds for the Natl. Show?
    Dawn

8. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    [​IMG]

9. Ldyjarhead

Ldyjarhead Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2009
    South/Central OH
    Quote:I didn't know anything about it, Dawn. Told you, I'm a TOTAL noob!

10. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Gee Whiz Jena, you got over 2,000 posts and just joined last year? I've been here longer and barely over 700. Pretty soon you'll be giving debiraymond a run for the money. [​IMG]

And a big [​IMG] to Ldyjarhead!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by