Hi! We are starting a chicken co-op in Albany, CA (next to Berkeley)

fiatgirl

Hatching
May 9, 2015
Hi! I'm Erika and I have found myself in the perhaps unenviable position of leading this project. We are starting in a donated piece of land, about 1000 sf and are looking to start with 30 chickens after we build our coop. I imagine we will have lots of painful learning experiences along the way. A couple of our members have experience with raising chickens in their back yards but the demands of doing it on a remote site with many people responsible for monitoring the chickens and caring for them is kind of daunting. We all want eggs, some people are more interested in the chickens themselves, and it's all kind of a shot in the dark at this point. We are hoping to build a coop in the next month, get our chickens and have people on a rotating schedule to care for them at least once a day for an hour. If anyone has experience in running a chicken/egg co-op, I would appreciate any advice or links to stories.

I've already learned a lot from this site and thank everyone for their contributions!

Hello Erika!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. Wow, that sounds like quite an endeavor. Good luck with your project and your future chickens. :)

Hi Erika, welcome to BYC!

That's quite a project you all are working on, I'd enjoy hearing how it goes for you.

Have you all decided what breed(s) you want to start with?

Nice to have you join us!

Welcome to Backyard chickens. If these folks are really committed , the best thing would be for them to join the flock, and have access to all BYC has to offer. It would take some pressure off of you. They also may find themselves addicted to chickens and throwing themselves into their work with increased motivation.

I also think you should start a new thread strictly for this project, so we can keep tabs on what is going on, and our members will surely drop by to offer advice, answers and provide encouragement. The New members thread doesn't get seen by very many people and members generally settle into some other threads or forums. A NEW thread for your Chicken-co-op project would be more visible, and longer lasting. I know I would subscribe to it.

Back
Top Bottom