Hi, y’all!

The Chaotic Coop

In the Brooder
May 22, 2019
Prospect, TN
Hi! I’m a brand new member to BYC! I’m a mom of 4 humans, 4 Boston Terriers and (currently) 21 chickens with 20 chicks on the way! We live in rural Southern Tennessee on a 22 acre farm. We’ve been here 7 months and are totally new to farming, it’s pretty hilarious.

Chickens were the first animals we added to the farm. Our main purpose for them is self sustainability. Our second purpose is to create a hatchery with some of the unique breeds we’ve acquired.

We have a VERY mixed flock including..

Barred Plymouth Rock
Black Australorp
Blue, Black & Splash Isbar
Buff Orpington
California White
Deathlayer
Double Laced Barnevelder
Easter Egger
French Black Copper Maran
French Golden Cuckoo Maran
Olive Egger (Welbar)

Excited to learn more and more about chicken keeping! These little feathered friends have quickly gained my heart..

Jess

Hi! Welcome! Always happy to meet other farming newbies! We bought our place for our horses, but jumped into chickens with both feet. Our biggest disadvantage is being older than dirt. But I hired a barn helper yesterday and i already think i want to adopt her!

Hahaha! Well, sometimes I feel older than dirt if that helps? We did the same thing and even put the cart before the horse (or the chicken before the coop in our case)! After living mostly in the city, all across the country, this has been a huge and welcomed change. Best of luck to us both!

I'm glad I asked, I thought it was sort of ominous...like the eggs had little skulls, but now it makes them sound like work-horses! Neat! I'm going to look those up.
We did that too...had two beautiful brooders my husband built and were used for about 4 short weeks before everyone outgrew them! We built that coop REALLY fast. Now I completely understand when people say to make sure everything is ready for your chickens before you get them.
Have fun, I've always lived on farms (albeit most was on a berry farm, which is different than livestock!), and it's work, but so worth it!

Back
Top Bottom