hi

grumpypoet

Hatching
Apr 18, 2017
hi new to the site.

i am a proud chicken owner of 1 nine year old jersey giant and 3 barred rocks that are seven.

pepper jack is the oldest ones name the others dont have a name cause the all look alike. lol

we also had over time ginger, cinnamon, queen and another b.rock
they all passed away. :(

we started raising chickens for our son as pets and just continued on with then.

fun, relaxing and they eat good. all our chickens are pets and we use the eggs.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Wow that's a fantastic age your chicken have reached! I'm sure you must take fantastic care of them over the years.

Good luck with your birds in the future. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

G’Day from down under grumpypoet
frow.gif
Welcome!

I agree that your gals have reached great ages .. kudos to you!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

hi everyone sorry i have not been back. thanks for the kind welcomes and the good reviews on my old hens. lol

i will share pictures soon. though pepper jack is the oldest her two feather sisters were ginger and queen. we got them all at 3 wks old.

then the barred rocks and cinnamon joined us 3 yrs later at the age of 3 days old. thats what we were told. lol

so my photo's will be from day one. as i stated in another post there was recent fears of losing my girls. apparently the town we have lived in for 12 yrs decided to enforce a ruling of 1973 that states we cant have birds in our borough . i received my letter but was quiet and waiting for the next one to come. been 7 months

i only knew one other home with chickens 1/2 a block from me. though apparently another house the opposite direction got a letter and she went to save her birds a bit different .

though we were not more then a support for her and with keeping our birds in mind not sure what to due we attended the local planning and council meetings with her and a few others and with a bit of fear for our own birds we spoke out.

we will be allowed to keep our birds with a few rules included. we can only have 2-6 hens no free range which is fine with us. no roaster again fine with us 100 ft from a resident building and 8 ft form the property line. oh yeah i forgot we also need to have a permit . yeah just one per household stated no annual fees. so looking like the old girls can stay with us for the remainder of their years.

so what is the usual life spam of a chicken? my cousin told me 4 or 5 yrs but mine as you can see have passed that. lol

thanks again and i will have pictures soon grumpy :)

Last edited:
i'm sorry and sad to say one of my chickens has passed around. she was a 7 yr old rhode island red. ginger was her name. :(

Back
Top Bottom