Hi,

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by justtoni44, Jan 22, 2011.

1. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    Hi,
    I am not certain I am posting in the correct thread.couldn't figure it out.
    So here goes....................
    I know that to clear my hens out for breeding I should seperate them for three weeks.
    What I do not know is, when I put the rooster in......how long will the eggs be fertile if I remove him after two or three weeks??????????
    Is it just for the period of time he is wih them.or does the sperm stay active for a longer period of time.
    Thank You

2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Well.. I think I understand what you are trying to do.. You are trying to fertilize pure breed hens, with a pure breed rooster of the same breed. But your hens have been with other roosters.

If that is a correct statement, then you can introduce your rooster to your hens as soon as you seperate your breeds, but the eggs won't be pure until after about 3 weeks.

If you are just trying to get unfertile eggs, then removing your rooster for about 3 weeks will work.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Up to a month. [​IMG]

4. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    OK, thank you,
    Reread my post and did leave a lot out......................
    I want purebred eggs...
    I think I should post in the mornings when my brain is clicking a little better.......
    The second part was just curiosity.....if the roo is removed..will eggs still be fertile for a period of time.
    Got my answers.
    Thank you for helping me think [​IMG]

5. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

No problem.. I'm up way too late at night... Like Debria!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by