Hi

Jan2012

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 1, 2012
Central FL
Hi!

I am new to chickens although until the age of 10, I lived on a farm with thousands of chickens. Hated them then. Remember being pecked really hard!

However, I have not been around live chickens for many, many years. Caught the chicken bug several years ago, and I finally talked my husband into getting some this year.

My Rhode islands and Silver-laced wyandottes were hatched around Feb 21 and I just acquired two black silkies yesterday that were hatched on Thursday. The older chicks are outside in a coop with a run. The babies are inside in a bin with a warming light.

Really enjoying the silkies. The older chicks do come running when they see us especially if they spot a plastic bag which they know has mealworms or crickets, but otherwise they don't care to be petted.

The silkies on the other hand, push their way into your hands until you pick them up. At which, they fall asleep. They are adorable, fluffy, cute and cuddly.

So now I am a chicken fan. They are my drug of choice.

Hello and :welcome
Your silkies sound gorgeous. I love silkies too, although I've never had a chance to have any. :p
Having too many chickens around always used to scare me slightly. I was a regular visitor at the farm as a kid, and the chicken coop was always full to the brim. :lol:

WelcometoBYC.gif

Thanks to all of you for the welcome! Sorry it took me so long to post back, was working my way through tax season. I also had one of my baby silkies pass away, so I was in a bit of a down period. They had hatched on March 29th. When I took her and her sibling to the vet on the day she died, she was 28 grams compared to my other at 41 grams. So the vet thought it was a failure to thrive. Plus, they were both mite-ridden, we are still try to rid my other silkie of the mites. We had gotten them at 4 days old and I am very thankful that I quarantined them from my other chickens. The vet suggested that we bring our other silkie in to have him mix pyrethin? to her weight and put a drop on her to rid her of the mites. Any suggestions as to whether that would work? I am not so much interested in her for the eggs. They were just pets for us.

You all are such a friendly group, I have enjoyed reading other posts before I joined. I do appreciate any advice and I love how welcoming you all are.

Jan

Back
Top Bottom