Hickory tree next to run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jray, Feb 24, 2008.

1. jray

jray Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    Piedmont, SC
    I've got a small 20' hickory tree right next to where my new run will be located. I thought it might provide a little shade for the birds, but wonder if they will try to eat the bittler nuts and make the eggs taste bad.

2. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    i dont know the answer to that, and it brings a question to my mind about the elms in my yard. wonder if it would be an issue.

3. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I don't know if hickory nuts would be any different but my chickens eat acorns with no issues.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I have hickory trees in my yard and free range my flocks and have never had a chicken try to swallow a nut, they are too big for them to try.

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Same as Rooster-Red, the property is pretty well covered by shagbarks and White Oak (60ft. Shagbark in chook run), the turkeys eat the acorns but the chooks ignore them - and the hickory nuts can't be swallowed by a chook (though they'll hang around the deck waiting for us to crack them open). I'm more worried about one of the chooks getting `bonked' when the nuts start dropping.

6. Krysstyllanthrox

Krysstyllanthrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2008
    Tulsa
    I'm not sure if the hickory nuts are different where you are from where I grew up. But where I grew up the nuts were huge and HARD, had to use a hammer to get into them. (Oddly enough, our dog could just chomp on them and get them open but he has jaws of steel.) If the chickens can swallow/open them, I'll be impressed.

7. jray

jray Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    Piedmont, SC
    Thanks to all for the replies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by