Hidden eggs

Depending on location, outside conditions, duration, eggs left outside can be harvest up to a month after being deposited and still be good. Cooler temps are better than hotter. Slow temp changes in a narrow range are better than big swings over the course of a day. Any egg found sitting in water should de discarded. (allrelate to the bloom on an egg, and its ability to keep the outside "out". Cool dry eggs are good - anytime moisture is present on the shell, it becomes much easier for "bad things" to enter. Remember that egg conitues to be used as a growth medium for all kinds of thingsyou probably don't want to injest.

Note that the float test tells you NOTHING about the egg's safety, only its relative age. Egg shells are porous, as time passes, moisture escapes, creating an ever larger air cell. At sufficient time, the egg will "stand up" at the bottom of the glass. Some days later, it will float.

As a general rule, I discard (or feed back to the birds) every egg which may have been in the run more than 24 hours, but I can easily afford to do so. In other circumstances, a week wouldn't bother me any (I'm in a hot, humid environment) though I'd crack each egg into a seperate bowl first. I also don't sell eggs over a week old except at request. (Older eggs are easier to peel when hard boiling. USDA rules allow you, potentially, to go over 30 days and still be deemed safe for human consumption...

/edit sorry for spelling errors. hope you can figure it out. Didn't sleep well last night and decafeinated. Too tired to fix it right now. :caf
Thank you so much! This is very interesting and useful information. Hope you get some rest tonight!

We found dozens of hidden eggs and tried the float test. If the egg floats in a bowl of water, even a little bit, it's not good for human consumption...
Actually, that method only tells you how much moisture and egg has lost, not anything on if it's still good.
I'd throw out all found eggs, it's fun to find a cliff and Chuck eggs for a few minutes.

Actually, that method only tells you how much moisture and egg has lost, not anything on if it's still good.
I'd throw out all found eggs, it's fun to find a cliff and Chuck eggs for a few minutes.
We don't have cliffs here, I would have to drive for days to find a real cliff. So we just throw them away.

Back
Top Bottom