Hidden Nests

funkychickenlady

Chirping
Jun 9, 2023
My chickens just recently started laying. 4/10 have figured it out and are laying in my coop I have for them. I have three nests for them in the coop. 2 of my cream legbars started laying underneath our shed. I found the nest and cleared that area out in hopes that they would stop laying there. Well, they did, but are still not laying in the coop and now I have no idea where their eggs are. I’ve tried putting fake eggs in the coop to help them see that is where the eggs should go. Any other suggestions? Any suggestions on how I can find their new hidden nest? I’m growing frustrated and just want them to lay in the coop. 😭

It can be so tricky. The best thing to do, is take a book and a cup of coffee and go down and wait. Eventually they will go off and you can follow them, or they will sing.

I have had chickens for years. The coop and NESTS have been the same for years. I had the matriarch go broody in one of the nests and she must have put the fear of God into everyone else. As they went to creating a nest in the bedding.

I took all of the bedding out, lined the coop with cardboard, because nothing else worked. They are laying in the nests again. But the cardboard is a stinking mess. So I am going back to bedding. We will see.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom