Hide and Seek with my new chick ^.^

rivers2011

Songster
8 Years
May 12, 2011
Port Perry, ON
Upon coming back home tonight, I immediately went to check on my brand new, 3 week old chick. I had only left her alone for a couple hours, so figured she'd be fine in her little box in the living room. However, as I walked up to her box I noticed there were neat little piles of chicken poop all around, outside of it. Although at various elevations, the trail of poop left a perfect semi-circle around the room. Yet there was no sign of her - where could she be? I called out and searched the entire home but was worried by the silence. The back door had been left open - could a cat or raccoon have seen her in the kitchen and stolen her away? My parents came soon after and joined in the search. Finally, we heard her peeping! After frantically trying to trace the sound we found her here, in the master bedroom:
91526_in_the_bedroom.jpg

The headboard of my parents' bed has a small, mirrored shelf in the middle. She had hopped up and fallen asleep in the coziest spot in the entire house!
My father insisted on putting her back in the living room, but she was having none of it. Finally, I was allowed to put her in a shallow gift box on my bedroom desk and she's been tucked in, quiet as a mouse ever since. She starts making a ruckus when I leave the room but calms down again when I come back. And I've totally fallen for her!
91526_prince_5.jpg

Earlier in the evening, my father and I were going to return her to the farmers market from which she came. Firstly, I had specifically ask for a cockerel and made it clear that I only wanted a cockerel (we have six pullets besides her) but it looks like she's most definitely a pullet. Secondly, I had spent the whole day trying to nurse her back to health, as her feet were terribly mangled because of the rough transport and handling by her sellers at the farmers market. However, I don't think I can bear to give her back now that I've seen more of her personality
love.gif

Quote:
Oh she is so sweet! Now you are nursing her, she will be your favourite hen. How did they hurt her feet? Were they throwing her around? Poor little girl, hearing about that makes me so sad!
sad.png

Not sure how they hurt her feet, but you're right - they may have just thrown her in the crate or she may have taken a few tumbles if the roads were really bumpy? You'd think they'd take better care of birds that are just about to be sold!

Quote:
thanks!
(s)he is turning out to be a sweetie - i gave him free reign of the entire yard for the first time today and he just followed me around the whole time.
btw, Welcome to BYC!!!

Back
Top Bottom