Hide Away Pines - Intro

Hide Away Pines

Chirping
Dec 31, 2020
East Texas
Good morning,
I am joining this forum after someone from Back Yard Herds suggested it. I live will start with the suggested questions
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I have been raising chickens since 2016. After getting our coop/rabbit hut built we started getting chicks...our first chicken was a free Rooster from my husbands coworker - we discovered why he was free, he was mean. But he was great with the girls, so we kept him until we got a much better one a few years ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? We started with a few free hens we got from a friend here in our area who had about 80 chicks... she gave me a few to get started with, from there we have added some each year and we currently have 30 hens and now one good roo.

(3) What breeds do you have? I have a wide mixture. Silkies, brahma, Wyandotte's, Barred Rocks, Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Reds, Araucana, andalusian, Welsummer, golden sex link, (maybe a few I am missing) and a mixture of others we have hatched from these.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I love the eggs of course, but generally just love watching them, they are so beautiful and entertaining.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? gardening, cooking, canning, sewing, nurturing all things animals, learning (if that is a hobby, I love learning new things on any front)

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I am married, it will be for 40 this coming summer, we have two adult kids who are both married, but no grand kids yet, we have three dogs, I raise meat rabbits and have chickens. We hope to start pigs soon and goats too - and my desire is to have a donkey too, just think they are the best. We live in East Texas on 30 acres of heavily wooded land that had never been lived on prior to us purchasing it in 2014. We have managed to build our home, barn, coop/rabbit hut, smoke shack for when I smoke my rabbits, green house, three gardens, carport, and now my husbands new tractor shed. We are never board out here. Oh we are not retired, we both still work, my hubby is an IT director and I am a graphics designer. We both work from home (long before covid hit) and love country life.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :DI have actually used info I pulled off the internet from your site for a few years when I was needing help, but after joining BYH I decided to jump in here too - I will see if I can keep up with all this... but I love getting to ask others in the groups questions when I am in need.

I am adding in a few pics, our dogs, a few of the chicks and our coop... which is large and holds our rabbits too. It has a fully enclosed run and the whole building has buried hardware cloth 3 feet out - to keep our critters safe. It has works thus far. The back wall is very open where the rabbits live, but has goat panel and hardware cloth over it to keep them safe. And one of my gardens. DSC00861.JPG 20201229_113233.jpg 20201229_113258.jpg 20201229_113223.jpg IMG_20180322_202521_105.jpg IMG_20181025_150103_709.jpg IMG_20200710_125420_082.jpg 20201117_061428.jpg

ha, thanks, we actually call it the coop but it does house our critters, I am attaching pics of what we call the barn (but is really my DH workshop), but these pics are when we were building it, it is now full with all my DH things, but you get the idea, and behind the barn is his new tractor shed he has built over the past few months. We cut down our own trees and he milled them on our saw mill and then got each of the massive beams into the ground by himself. Now he is finishing off the roof, which is our last solar array completing our final stag of solar. This has been a huge undertaking but man it is so beautiful, almost wish is was not hidden behind the barn 🤣 20141005_154419.jpg 20201209_153414.jpg 20201228_145515.jpg

Back
Top Bottom