hieght of fence for run?

RASS

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 26, 2013
How tall does the fence around the chickens run need to be to keep them in? will they fly over a 5 ft. fence?
also, if I let them "free range" will they stay close to coop? I have hog wire fence (opening is approx. 5inches x 5 inches) around my 2 acres but afraid they may get through into neighbors yard and get killed by dogs.

thanks
Ron

It varies pretty wildly by breed. What do you have? My silkie and frizzled cochin can barely get off the ground. My leghorns can fly on the roof of my house and over a 5 ft with clipped wings.

I had a five foot pen setvup and several of mine learned how to hop/ fly over it:) I gave up on it and only use it when I'm introducing new chickens, either baby chicks or even older birds. It gives them all a chance to see each other with out total interaction. Now mine free range all day now, and I don't have my property totally fenced in, and I live on a really really busy road (its one of the main roads from a big city to a smaller town) and mine have never wondered into the roads. I have over five acers of land and they don't seem to go to far from thier coop, it looks like they keep thier coop in sight (or as far as my rooster lets them wonder) where ther is a fence between my neighbor and I, my dogs always seem to sneak under it, but my chickens don't, as they have a nice but rather big dog...(plus like I said mine wont let thier coop out of thier sight) good luck, maybe some of the veterans who have chickens will answer, as I've only had mine for about a year...

Yes, forgot to mention breed; I plan on having RI reds and silver laced wyondottes.

One of mine pullet went 10 feet into a tree branch. She lost her leap after she started laying, but I think 5 feet is still within her reach.

Any case, you should consider cover on the run for aerial predators. I learned the hard way that I have hawks in my area.

Mesh cover works but solid cover would also keep rain and snow out.

I have RI Reds and they stay within a 1 acre area with a 48" fence (a strand of barb wire is on top at 50"). They won't go through your fence when fully grown but they probably could go over..... but I would not worry. Keep them happy and they will stay in your yard fine. Mine hang around the coop but will venture in the field if it is not too cold or windy or rainy. They like to scratch and search for bugs or worms.

Thanks "4 the birds" but do they return and go into the coop at night?

i have heavy breeds - barred rock, slw, buff orp, & black aust. my fence is 4 ft. they have 1 1/2 acre area. they make no attempt to fly over. my black aust fought a hawk & flew over a 6' stockade - but that was in desperation (btw - he won & is fine). the 5 x 5 would be a problem for my chickens - they might try that.

Mine always come back to thier coop, before it get to dark... If they don't get to the coop,in a timely manner, my rooster goes and finds them and herds them to the coop(hes wonderful to his ladies) he sometimes has to make several trips, as he has several ladies:)

Back
Top Bottom