High Desert new member

Hi all,

I'm a new member even though I've been using this site for 2 years for info and questions about my chickens. I live in Reno NV. Raising chickens in the high desert presents it's own challenges. Coyotes, Great Horned owls, Long Eared Owls, Bobcats, not to mention 40 degree temperature swings in a 24 hour period. I have found chickens to be a never ending source of laughs and stress relief. Who can watch a chicken JUMP and not laugh or at least smile? I love my my ladies! I don't have any roosters. I live on 85 acres and the girls have free run when I'm home and can watch over them.
I have 15 girls and am getting 20 more tomorrow. With egg prices what they are I can't keep up with the demand for eggs. I have Americana's, Morans, Barred Rocks, and some I don't know the names of yet. I look forward to belonging to a group of like minded people!
I have attached pictures of some of the critters caught on my game camera checking out my girls. The owl I had to pull out of my coop with my bare hands while it was attacking my sleeping girls! I released it 20 miles from my house and it came back 2 days later.
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom