high feed cost

wynedot55

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
was in my local co-op today an decided to check layer pellet prices.an ouchies $9.90/50.that is $19.20/100.to dang high.

I paid 13.99 for 50 lbs regular layer last month, and 19 and some change for game bird starter. I expect it to be a couple bucks more this next run per bag too... prices are rising with the fuel costs.

im in texas.an the funny thing is my co-op mixes an bags their own feed.last year ir was $13.30/100.i know its caused by the high fuel an corn prices.i think im just gonna feed them either a 14% or 16% pellet feed.its cheaper than lay pellets.

I wonder if 14% might be a bit low in protein. I usually end up supplementing 16% layer pellets with 20% supplement to keep the hens from picking my rooster bald. It has worked so far. If I remember right, the last time I was able to get 50 lbs for 6.65 was like a decade ago, literally.

Ironically enough I'm sitting here sorting through tax receipts and ran across my feed receipt for 09/08/07 from IFA. Cracked corn 8.99 bag/50#. Scratch Grains 8.99 bag/50#, 16% lay pellets $10.89 bag/50#.

I just bought feed and corn is now $12.99 a bag and lay pellets are $13.69 a bag just in six months! I don't know what the scratch is I didn't need it.

1 thing is for sure the feed wont get any cheaper.i guess its a goodthing im on getting like 15 pullets an 10 guienies.right now my 5 turkeys 2 hens an 1 guienie is living off grass an buggs.so my feed bill is 0.an thats a good thing.

Here's an idea that's been brewing a long time that I haven't done yet.

Only suitable for "hobby" farmers. Grow grain (wheat was my plan) then cut with side mower and square bale it. Just give a bale to the birds and they'll get over half their feed needs from that. Mice would be happy in the barn, and you'd have to watch for moisture but I'm sure it'll work. In a decade when I look at retiring to the farm I'll try it.

Untill then I'm in the same boat as you all.

Quote:
We farm and wheat is the main grain we raise. The problem I see with your plan is wheat when ripe shatters very easily out of the head. So by the time it's ripe enough to cut, and you've cut and baled it pretty much all you'll have left is straw and your grain will be left laying in the field on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom