high flying

hi I let my pigeons out all they want to do is sit on the roof of my house what can I do to get them up flying

What breed of pigeons do you have?

Food is a good motivator. It is a good idea to always let your birds out hungry for the first few times. You can motivate then to fly back to the loft with the reward of breakfast. I always take away their feed for 12 hours on their maiden flight around the loft. Their loft should always make them feel safe and protected. It is not a good idea to spook or scare your pigeons around their home they could get disorientated and fail to return.
Some fanciers fly flags or banners to encourage them to keep air borne. I personally do not practice this method.

Last edited:
hi I let my pigeons out all they want to do is sit on the roof of my house what can I do to get them up flying
That's like some of mine... I think mine are overfed and too fat. They like to sunbath on the house roof and lay in the water overflow to our swimming pool... the live the good life!

I have reduced their feed so they have 2 feeding times a day and only feed what they will eat in about 10 mins each time.

That was a few weeks ago and they now stay in the air much longer... but still not long enough.

As above poster asks.. what breed do you have?

Some of mine are heavy bodies as they were crossed with utility king pigeons in the past.. so they are not good at flying high. Ohers of mine are fancy breed.. Old Dutch Capuchines.. and they also are not into staying in the air for a long time.

My white homers are the best and some of my cross breeds.

So, as you can see, a lot depends of the breed of pigeon.

hi I have iraian high flyers and Kurdish faw they just sit around iv cut down there feed whats the best feed

hi I have iraian high flyers and Kurdish faw they just sit around iv cut down there feed whats the best feed

This is a commercial mix for pigeon feed (not available in my area now).

I feed layer pellets and mix in corn and any other feeds that my supplier has on hand from time to time.They are a lot like humans they enjoy different seeds at different times of the year. I some times mix in rabbit pellets during the winter to give them a taste of grass.

To tame my pigeons and have them fly to me I hand feed only shelled unsalted peanuts as a treat.

Last edited:
You could probably feed wild bird seed or just wheat with highfliers, try giving signal noise to warn, and then toss tennis ball at the roof. In short time this trains them to fly on command.

Back
Top Bottom