High liver enzymes

crazychick26201

Songster
10 Years
Jun 1, 2013
West Virginia
I have a very sick hen who has just returned from a hospital visit where bloodwork revealed her liver enzymes are high. 520 I think. She spent two days there on supportive care. When they released her the vet said she was eating and drinking on her own, and her poop was normal. I have not seen that since she has been home a couple of days. She eats almost nothing, drinks a lot and poop is runny and green. Also brown fluid occasionally comes out of her mouth. They gave me a milk thistle supplement to support her liver, but I did not give it to her today because she had a lot of watery diarrhea and I thought no it upset her digestive system. She is almost three. Weighs 7 lbs. and this is her first illness. Has anyone dealt with a similar problem? I am not sure what to do to help her recover if that is possible.

What's her diet like? Including treats, & how often.
Sounds like she may have Fatty Liver Disease, & maybe a crop issue.
Does her breath smell sour?

Her breath doesn’t smell sour. Her diet is Purina Layena crumbles. It’s in a feeder in the run. We have been giving them some scratch before bed because it’s been so cold. Her favorite treat is sunflower seeds but she has stopped eating those, or really anything. Sunflower treats were given a few in the morning, and I would throw a few into the run to get them in from outside. I have five other hens who have the same diet and are very healthy. Blood tests confirm she probably has liver disease. Thus the supplement to support the liver. But she has only had one dose.

Her breath doesn’t smell sour. Her diet is Purina Layena crumbles. It’s in a feeder in the run. We have been giving them some scratch before bed because it’s been so cold. Her favorite treat is sunflower seeds but she has stopped eating those, or really anything. Sunflower treats were given a few in the morning, and I would throw a few into the run to get them in from outside. I have five other hens who have the same diet and are very healthy. Blood tests confirm she probably has liver disease. Thus the supplement to support the liver. But she has only had one dose.
Her body is probably not tolerating the treats you were offering. Corn, & sunflower seeds are high in fat, & should be given no more often then once a week.

High protein, upto 20% will help them be warmer through digestion.

Check her crop in early morning daily to see if her crop is emptying. Liver disease is common, and can be associated with ascites (water belly,) egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, fatty liver disease, and heart failure (especially in meat birds.) Is her lower belly enlarged? I would tempt her with some scrambled egg and make supreme mushy chicken feed with water. Stop the seeds and whole grains for now. A spoonful of plain yogurt would give some probiotics.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have done all this with no improvement. I am thinking of having her euthanized. I am very sad. But she is suffering I think. No food for five days.
Sorry that she is no better. Is she still having the brown liquid come out of her beak? How does her crop feel? Does she have a bad odor from her beak? Have you treated her for impacted or sour crop? Many use Monistat cream given orally twice a day to treat sour crop. If you feel that she is suffering and starving herself, putting her down might be the best. Tube or crop feeding could be done if you want to keep trying. Here is a good article about sour and impacted crop in case she has one of those:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Yes, I read that article today. I have massaged her crop several times today. No difference. Scrambled egg, yogurt, probiotics in the water. She would take no food. It is now going on really two weeks since she started feeling off. I have heen talking to two crows as well. I think at this point a laxative flush or monistat would not help much. A flush would be too stressful and hard on her. What puzzles me is that I took her to an avian vet a week ago and I have the written report that says her crop was normal. X-rays and blood work were done. Fatty liver disease diagnosed. Hundreds of dollars later she appears to be dying. I made an appointment for euthanasia on Friday if she does not turn a corner which seems unlikely at this point. Is it possible she has a blockage or tumor of some kind that did not show up on the X-ray? This is the first time in 11 years of keeping chickens that I have had a sick chicken without a definite diagnosis. It’s so frustrating and I feel that I have failed her in some way. I am on the fence about a necropsy. Mostly because I want to take her home to bury her beside her best friend. Of course she is my favorite. Always up for lap snuggles. She is always the one I let young children hold. I have a couple pretty mean ones(which I call The Wicked Sisters) who will probably live 10-12 years or more!

Back
Top Bottom