High of 109 today.... ice water

I threw about six water bottles in the freezer. Then during the hottest part of the day, I put the frozen water bottles on the ground. My chickens like to lay on them or next to them and they stay frozen for awhile. Then I put them back in the freezer for the next day.
I do the same thing with ice. We have chest freezer with all kind of containers with ice frozen, once it's over 85 they start panting and looking like they're not enjoying life. I have big ground pans a couple big chickens can fit in at a time. They drink ice water, stand on side of pan and soak thier toes, stand IN pan doing "ice water wading", they sit and rest with ice water between them and fans, I spill ice water on purpose in their dust bath spots, they love that. They all also LOVE the $18 box fans. They line up and face all different ways so you can see their feathers blowing in the breeze like a chicken Ms. Clairol commercial. The bigger older ones would not share so I added a fan fir the pullets.
Yesterday I tried cutting up a frozen watermelon, which was impossible. I was hammering the knife into it, and still did not get er done. Put the entire watermelon in one of their water pans to defrost. I gave it to them but it was still difficult to cut up.
I tried doing what you're doing with frozen bottles so they can sit next to them. I tried using a big box so they had an AC little room made from the box, and not one went for it. Last year we had a mister that lowered the temp at least ten degrees or so , so I'm trying to find another one because that one broke. I've been all over and can only see one on Amazon.
WalMart does have the hand held fan misters, but I can't teach any of them to hold it.
I'm sick of roos because they denude their backs and make them less lovely. Im afraid to use saddles due to the heat. When my husband gets home I'm catching the NuRoo and glueing those rubber tips on his nails they make for dog nails to help with traction on slick floors. They make all different colors, so that should be fun.

It’s been around 100 here lately and I throw a couple water bottles in the freezer each night and durging the heat of the day I add one to their waters. Seems to really help I also put fresh mint in there for them to munch on. Mint has natural cooling properties!

God to know about the mint, she's I love the water bottle idea. I'll have to snag a few from the recycling.

I put out a washing pool a few years ago with just an inch or 2 of water while we agree on vacation. They didn't use it much but it made me feel better.

Back
Top Bottom