High-pitched wheeze

chichicken1

In the Brooder
Oct 19, 2022
Hi all! I have an older hen who has started making a strange high-pitched trill noise that I suspect to be a wheeze. It started yesterday or the day before, but it has now been more consistent and has me worried. She’s still eating, her poops seem fine, but she is napping a little more than usual. Any ideas what this could be? I’m hoping to take her in ASAP in the morning but am so worried for her, she’s never been sick before.
*Background: we rescued her about four years ago from an abusive farm and she is currently the only chicken we own. She has no nasal or eye discharge, but she does seem to be paler in the face than usual.

Can you get a video with sound of this wheezing? It may be stridor or it could be respiratory. Stridor is caused by a foreign matter in the trachea and usually clears up on its own. A respiratory disease can resolve on its own, bu will often require help from an antibiotic.

Have you pried open her beak and looked in her throat with a flash light? Look for mucous or plaque or something sticking out of the throat behind the tongue. There have been cases of a chicken eating a long hair or string and getting it wrapped around the tongue.

Can you get a video with sound of this wheezing? It may be stridor or it could be respiratory. Stridor is caused by a foreign matter in the trachea and usually clears up on its own. A respiratory disease can resolve on its own, bu will often require help from an antibiotic.

Have you pried open her beak and looked in her throat with a flash light? Look for mucous or plaque or something sticking out of the throat behind the tongue. There have been cases of a chicken eating a long hair or string and getting it wrapped around the tongue.
Thank you for you reply—I took her in today and the vet suspects she is making a high-pitched whine because of pain or discomfort. They discovered fluid in her abdomen and suspect a tumor or form of cancer. We are unsure for now, but definitely heartbroken. She is under supervision for the next couple of days to see if she improves or not.

Fluid in the abdomen can also be from chronic reproductive infection. That's not a good diagnosis, either. I'm sorry for your hen. It doesn't sound like something fixable.

Sometimes the fluid from water belly (ascites,) can be drained occasionally to ease breathing or discomfort. It does nit cure it, but it can make them more comfortable and possibly extend life. Ascites is common, and can be caused by liver problems related to reproductive problems, fatty liver disease, heart failure, and cancer.

Hi all—just an update. After draining chicken’s fluid she got better for two days or so. Now she’s wobbly, pale, has droopy wings, and doesn’t want to walk much. I’m afraid it’s nearing the end for her—calling a vet tomorrow with an update but it seems like the best choice is to euthanize her. We are heartbroken, as she is our first and only chicken and we love her so much. Thank you all for your comments and help.

I just lost one of my favorite hens today with the same symptoms. My vet was useless except for taking my money. I took her to our local ag poultry pathology lab and they did a thorough necropsy exam soon after her passing, because I lost another lovely hen 2 weeks ago. I was concerned about avian influenza because there have been outbreaks and it is getting worse. Avian influenza can cause crop problems due to the neurologic issues I was told, hence the exam. Anyhow, turns out she had only one kidney and developed gout. Incurable or treatable at her age of 3 years. I was worried I was missing something. I'm glad the influenza test was negative or they would have needed to euthanize the rest of my flock, but I knew it was the best thing to do. The exam cost $58 and included every possible test. I'm going to write a case study to post for others to learn from this. Had I given all the recommendations of monistat, applecider vinegar, antibiotics etc. I would only have hastened her death. Most often, cause of death is a natural cause if the bird is well cared for. I'm sure that was the case for your bird. All the love and good care in the world isn't always enough when it comes to genetic issues.

Back
Top Bottom