High protein chick feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by catchthewind, Apr 25, 2011.

1. catchthewind

catchthewind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    I bought a 25% chick starter feed aimed specifically at heritage breeds for my chicks. I like it because it's all local, non-gmo grains and it's a good price. It also uses whole food sources of vitamins and minerals instead of synthetic ones and the lower protein formulas are soy free. I read on an American Heritage chickens club site they recommended high protein for heritage chicks.

The sheet I got with the feed says to feed to laying age, but when I mentioned it on here a few people questioned whether it was actually meant as a chicken feed (it is), and I double checked and realized the label on the bag says to feed just to 5 weeks then switch to the next one which is 19%. Not sure if I should follow the label or the info sheet, but i went with the label and have had my older chicks on that one for a while but left the younger chicks (3-4.5 weeks old) on the 25% starter.

Question is, I am going to run out of starter, probably tomorrow. I bought another bag of starter already, but now wonder if I should have gone with the 19%. How long will 44 pounds of food last 15 chicks? Will the high protein hurt them if I'm still feeding it in 3 or 4 weeks? The three week old ones are Silkies and are so tiny, I feel like they could use the boost. I would rather not return the food, the feed store isn't that convenient, but if high protein is detrimental in some way I will.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  2. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    I currently have some 10 and 7 week old chicks whom I've raised on turkey starter, %28 protein, since they were babies. They are pretty big and pretty meatie, I will keep them on that feed til they are 14 to 15 weeks old. I have heard tho that high protein willl sometimes make the chicks grow too fast causing them problems with their egg laying. But like I said this is my first batch being raised like this so we'll see. As far as how long does that bag will last you I will say about 3 weeks.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I keep my birds on high protein (24-25%) until about two and a half to three months old. Then I lower their protein to about 20% to give their reproductive systems a chance to catch up. Seems to work pretty well so far. Nice sized birds that lay well, but don't develop early laying problems.

4. catchthewind

catchthewind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    Awesome, thanks! [​IMG] I was confident about it until I got home, actually until I had paid for it, and then suddenly started second guessing myself. But I figure, they are growing and getting new feathers in and such, a high-quality protein feed is probably a good idea.

5. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I give mine 27% starter for 10 weeks, then they get a 24% game bird grower until they are 18 weeks old, then I feed them a lot of 22% protein scratch with some layer in it. When they lay their first egg they get 22% layer and 22% scratch. I get an egg a day from almost all of the first year layers. Seems to work good for me.

6. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Would a Dominique chick be considered a heritage breed? I have been feeding 16% grower since I got them. I haven't seen any starter that is higher than 20%. My other chicks are all hybrid breeds and and growing faster than the doms. Maybe a higher protein food would help?

7. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Quote:16% is too low for chicks, I have some chicks whom I raised with my regular laying hens so they were eating the same 16% protein laying mash they are now 15 weeks old and then I have some 10 week olds who have been raised on 28% protein and they both look as if they were the exact same age. 16% is just too low for any chick.

8. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Quote:16% is too low for chicks, I have some chicks whom I raised with my regular laying hens so they were eating the same 16% protein laying mash they are now 15 weeks old and then I have some 10 week olds who have been raised on 28% protein and they both look as if they were the exact same age. 16% is just too low for any chick.

The highest I can find is 18%. I picked up a bag of that today and mixing it with the other feed.

9. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I know this thread is very old but I wanted to add that most 20%+ protein feeds will be game bird feeds not actual chick starter. Not that there is an issue with that but I just wanted to mention that in case someone comes a long to read this thread.

10. MrsMVP

MrsMVP Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2016
    Kingsburg CA
    I'm really glad you commented. I bought game bird crumble 20% protein for my heritage meat birds. A lady at the feed store just about had a fit trying to convince me to buy either chick starter or layer pellets even after I explained I had heritage meat birds and roosters, not laying hens. I ended up doubting my purchase by the time I left. This thread totally reassures me that I know what I'm doing here. Thank you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by