High school and chickens

farmgirl1995

Songster
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
Georgia:)
I've been having alot of trouble lately with school. Some things happened to me over the summer that were violating and now I've just lost my passion for education(not that I really had one but at least I was willing to go) Now I find myself pulling away from school alot more. I plan on dropping out next year to pursue a career in chickens (creating new breeds) and I just wanted to hear some thoughts on this

Quote:
I for one think that your education is a priceless thing to lose. I had a rough time in school myself (socially), but there are options. Talk to the school counselor.
hugs.gif

I don't have time to type much...but don't quit school.

Education opens doors to things you can't even imagine at this point in your life. Education is everything....plus, if creating a new breed is interesting to you - genetics/science may take on a whole new level of interest for you with your entreprenurial plans
big_smile.png

Quiting is a mistake...and you won't regret it for a while...but you will regret it.

Please don't let anyone or anything stop you from getting your education. I can understand kinda of losing your interest, but there are probley other options besides quiting. I would defentially talk to the counselor and let them know. If you give up on you,(your education) then it will hurt you in the long run.

I strongly recommend that you finish up your diploma. If you are having trouble at your school, see if you can transfer, homeschool or finish it up online. Depending on how your grades were, you may even be able to get into community college.

There have been a number of threads about going into chicken businesses and they've all pretty reached the conclusion that it is difficult to compete with hatcheries.

That being said, if you wish to work with livestock, I would suggest that you look into an agricultural science or ag management degree or even veterinary. You could always do research at a university about chicken/poultry genetics.

The richest man in the county is illiterate and does not have a high school diploma. However, he inherited thousands of acres of land, rental properties and a large dairy farm, plus gov't money for NOT farming some of that acreage. Unless you have those kinds of assets coming to you in the near future, your education will be what gets you a job. Believe it or not, you WILL use algebra, statistics, spreadsheets, standard English, basic knowledge of history, geography, reproduction, geology, biology, nutrition and even basic physics in everyday life and on a farm too. The diploma and a degree are proof that you know these things.

Again, there are other options if your local public school does not work for you.

Best of luck

It sounds like whatever happened has caused you to be depressed. "Pulling away" from things is a classic sign. One thing is for sure, running away from your problems never solves them. You seem from many of your posts to be a real go getter. You are much better off to get through whatever it is that is going on by talking with a friend, caring adult, clergy person, councelor, fellow BYCer
wink.png
I find if you take the bull by the horns, the bull doesn't have any power over you anymore and you can move on in the direction that is best for you, instead of in a direction that lets you ignore what is going on.

Education is as important as you make it. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it.

We all have things happen, good and bad, that are beyond our control. In either event we have two choices, make the best of the situation or not. Ask yourself, how can you come out of this a stronger person? If you are honest with yourself, I don't think leaving school is the answer.

BTW sorry that you are struggling. I wish you the best.
hugs.gif

I quit school at the age of 14. I am now 51. It took a lot of work to get where I am at now and I am no where near doing anything that I planned on when I was that young. You never know what direction life is going to take you so you need to finish at least your high school education. If traditional school is not working for you then look into alternatives but don't just quit. It took me a few years to realize that I needed that degree and then I later went on to college but I constantly had/have to deal with the fact that I quit school. There is not a lot of money in chickens and right now you may not think you need much but as you get older and possibly have a family money matters a bit more. It is nice to be comfortable and able to afford to enjoy a few things....like chickens! Get your diploma...no one can take that from you...and then do what you want!
sharon

Dont quit highschool, I am in highschool aswell right now. Its not easy thats for sure, I dont have many friends and I get teased for keeping poultry. (And of course it doesnt help that I am not ashamed to admit it) But all those people who care more about how they look more then their education, and call me insulting names will be under me in the business world. And I could one day be their boss, now who is the looser?

Without at least a high school diploma you can guarantee that you will always be poor. Anymore the minimum education that you need is at least an AA degree from a 2 year Community College. With less education, it won't matter that you want to raise and breed chickens. You won't be able to afford to import or buy the foundation stock that you need. You will need to keep impeccable records of your methods of achieving a specific trait for your new breed of chicken. Even if you succeed and create a new breed you will then need to spend a lot of time getting it recognized. All of the steps cost money. As a high school dropout you will need to spend most of your time working just to put a roof over your own head. The odds are that at some point you will give in and want children which will make any goal that you have now even less likely.

So the best way to stay in poverty for the rest of your life is to dropout now. As others have said look into the alternatives. I can't even begin to understand how hard it is to be in a public school these days. I homeschooled my kids, and made sure that they had at least 2 years of college. Anything less and your odds of succeeding with your goals is sadly just not good. I hope this makes you mad enough to want to create a new breed of chicken, because if you really want to do that, then you can finish school first.

It is much hard to go to school and work full-time.

Many many thanks to all of you for the encouraging advice. I guess I just have to work my way through it somehow. Its alot to think about and I'm glad I have the time so we'll just have to see how it all works out. In the mean time...I have my chickens:)

Back
Top Bottom