high wind advisories and chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TeamChaos, Oct 26, 2010.

1. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    It might seem like a goofy concern, but I'm in need of opinions and experienced input! We've got high wind advisories here for the next two days (sustained gusts, not just the chance of them), there are travel warnings even. It's also rainy and chilly, but not cold (I AM in WI after all, so anything above zero is "crisp" [​IMG])
    I usually let my ladies out to free range the paddock for a better part of the day but I'm worried that with winds this high, they might not be able to move freely. I also don't know how the winds would impact the predators in the area- if they'd be hunting more or less. Again, any thoughts are appreciated!

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    out here in NE Colorado, we get wind like that a LOT. We had it all day yesterday, unbelievable wind. My large fowl I could have probably let out if I was home, but, sometimes even on a nice day, they do not travel far. If the wind and rain was bad, mine would not go outside at all. My silkies I just keep inside

3. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    We're having tornado watches and high wind warnings here in Ohio today and I opted to leave them in the coop today only because I don't want the door blowing off the coop in the wind. I think if they were outside, the fence would catch them before they blew over to the neighbor place, but they'd probably be pinned against the fence for a while until the winds died down.

4. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Just keep an eye out for low, backward-flying chickens. Seriously, if they have a sheltered area to get into, they'll be fine - well, maybe not in a tornado!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like we've all got the same evil wind! [​IMG]

6. Luckytaz

Luckytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Rogers, Mn.
    We're having the same here. They will stay in protected areas or go back in the coop. Don't worry them.

7. Toril

Toril Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    Virginia Coast
    I'm sorry, I just wanted to share how much the title of this thread made me smile today! [​IMG]

8. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    The winds here have been up here in Louisiana, one thing I notice is my chickens stay close to cover. I tired to take them to open pasture & they wouldn't go.
    Predator birds can make an easy catch with all the leaves falling & trees constantly moving about.

9. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    Ours are staying close to or in the huts, which we moved to face out of the wind.

10. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Well, my girls (and 3 dudes) were protesting at the run door to go out, so I let them out for a while this afternoon. They tried to forage on the hill, but it was just too much wind, so they decided to hang out and dust bathe in the barn. It is quite a sight to see a chicken try to make a straight line run but get blown sideways and off course- everybody was doing the "raptor run", I'm sure it's more aerodynamic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by