High Winds and Baby Chicks

Happy Helper

Songster
5 Years
Mar 12, 2018
Sunbury, Ohio
I picked up my chicks on Monday. I had gotten their brooder set and heat on Sunday with a reptile 150 degree lamp and my new Brinsea Chick Brooder. I stopped at the brooder before going to get the chicks and found that the Reptile lamp was inadequate to heat the brooder that day. I put in the 250 degree red heat lamp and proceeded to pick up the chicks. When I got back the North winds were blowing hard and it was very cold. All I could do was tip their box over into the brooder and let them out. I closed up the front and covered the openings with beach towels. They were definitely getting chilled!

Their water and feed were in the brooder so I left them to it. No dipping beaks into water, etc. They immediately went under the heat lamp and were quite contended. The plan had been to introduce them to the Brinsea when I brought them home and the heat lamp was supplement on the other end of their brooder. That didn’t happen because of the winds blowing so hard.

Yesterday they were exploring the Brinsea and going into and over it. I had raised the legs up so it would be easier for them to go under it. Today I will be taking the paper towels off so they will be on the pine chips. They seem happy and all are healthy.

Attachments

• Baby Chicks.JPG
    Baby Chicks.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 17
I picked up my chicks on Monday. I had gotten their brooder set and heat on Sunday with a reptile 150 degree lamp and my new Brinsea Chick Brooder. I stopped at the brooder before going to get the chicks and found that the Reptile lamp was inadequate to heat the brooder that day. I put in the 250 degree red heat lamp and proceeded to pick up the chicks. When I got back the North winds were blowing hard and it was very cold. All I could do was tip their box over into the brooder and let them out. I closed up the front and covered the openings with beach towels. They were definitely getting chilled!

Their water and feed were in the brooder so I left them to it. No dipping beaks into water, etc. They immediately went under the heat lamp and were quite contended. The plan had been to introduce them to the Brinsea when I brought them home and the heat lamp was supplement on the other end of their brooder. That didn’t happen because of the winds blowing so hard.

Yesterday they were exploring the Brinsea and going into and over it. I had raised the legs up so it would be easier for them to go under it. Today I will be taking the paper towels off so they will be on the pine chips. They seem happy and all are healthy.
How is the temp now? Hopefully the feathers are starting to come in slowly now. When exposed to some cold, [under reason, not constantly] usually it decreases the time it takes for their feathers to come in

Today it went up to 56 and tonight 32 degrees. The wind has gone so it is manageable to keep them comfortable. They are starting to go under the brooder but I have had to keep the heat lamp on so many of them prefer just laying around the heat lamp. They are six days old now and have already grown a lot. I will send pictures tomorrow. They are a mix of Meyer's Rare Breeds and Rainbow Breeds. (I think they're all the same) However, there is a nice mix of quite a few breeds. I have 23 total.
I also have eggs incubating and will be put into lockdown tomorrow. They are a mix of bantams, Australorps and Easter Eggers. The incubator is in my bedroom and when the chicks hatch I will keep them inside for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom