Higher feed prices and I am hearing maybe bad corn--what now?

harleyjo

Songster
9 Years
May 6, 2010
SW Iowa
I am beginning to wonder just how many chickens I am going to have to get rid of due to the higher feed prices. I have also heard that some of the corn harvested this year may have a fungus so that won't be good for the chickens at all.

Last edited:
I hadn't heard about the fungus. Uh oh.

I swung by the feed store today to try to buy some more chick starter - maybe three bags to try to get a head start on corn prices but they were out.
hit.gif

Since I live in a small rural town I still can't free range my birds. I have large pens for them though. Is there a bagged feed of any of the ones you mentioned that will be cheaper that I could at least mix with their feed?

Since I live in a small rural town I still can't free range my birds. I have large pens for them though. Is there a bagged feed of any of the ones you mentioned that will be cheaper that I could at least mix with their feed?

The cheapest components of my feed mix are the rolled barley and rolled oats. If you dilute the commercial feed, it is best to start with a high protein (20%) feed, not a 16% layer feed. Then you must be careful to include oyster shell as well.

Here:
http://www.mofga.org/Publications/M...r/Summer2003/Chickens/tabid/1481/Default.aspx

Last edited:
Quick question--I was told Quinoa has to be cooked before giving to chickens due to fact that it expands. Is this true?

http://www.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Feed_ingredients/Grains.html#Quinoa
Haven't heard that before, and this doesn't mention it.

Some people say on BYC they have heard not to throw rice at weddings because it will kill the birds as it expands in them (old wives' tale and NOT true), so I would think this is also not true.

However, perhaps there is something to cooking it before serving it because of anti-nutrients? (Kind of like how you have to cook soybeans before giving them to chickens???)

I really don't know but after reading about the trypsin inhibitors in the link I gave you, I'd want to cook it too.

Last edited:
People are starting to really freak out about the corn... so there may end up being an (extra) shortage due to people stocking up.

My husband is working at Academy Sports+Outdoors and they had bags of corn on sale this week -- they were selling out entire pallets by the hour and were entirely wiped out before noon. He said the phone rang all day with people wanting to order more, and people were lined up at his counter to try and get it. :-D

People are starting to really freak out about the corn... so there may end up being an (extra) shortage due to people stocking up.

My husband is working at Academy Sports+Outdoors and they had bags of corn on sale this week -- they were selling out entire pallets by the hour and were entirely wiped out before noon. He said the phone rang all day with people wanting to order more, and people were lined up at his counter to try and get it. :-D

I guess it is great to stock up if you can but the problem with that is if you don't have a good storage area you chance that feed molding on you and that can kill a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom