Highest protein feed I can find is 22%

Tbh "grower" feed is a load of rubbish imo, feed them starter feed until 8 weeks and then give them straight adult feed. Quail don't grow much after 8 weeks and almost don't grow at all after 10 weeks (generally start laying around 10-12 weeks). Grower feeds I feel are a sneaky product they imply you need when you don't.
I use the grower when I can not get the starter. I found mine still put on a decent amount of muscle after 10 weeks:idunno

I like starter feeds at 24-28% protein and adult feed 14-18% protein with 3.5%+ calcium. I butcher at 6-8 weeks so the only males that survive share layer feed with their female companions.
I think my set up is very different to yours so that wouldn’t work for me

I've never bought heygates feed so I couldn't share my experience with them, they're very overpriced. Medicated feed isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially in starter feeds? Had great success using medicated feed for my last two batches of the year, felt I had a better overall health in my birds but have no scientific proof of that. The best feed I have used was an own brand turkey starter with medication at 28% protein, saw amazing growth with it.
I don’t think you can eat medicated feed which is the major reason why I don’t use it. I am also not found of using medication to prevent problems and I would want to be able to select the ones who are more resistant if I do have a issue

I use the grower when I can not get the starter. I found mine still put on a decent amount of muscle after 10 weeks:idunno

I think my set up is very different to yours so that wouldn’t work for me
I strongly disagree that coturnix quail put on any significant amount of weight after 10 weeks, females may add weight due to eggs but that is not body weight. You're free to disregard my experience, of course.

I have many different setups, I produce a large amount of quail yearly without the use of battery cages and have for a few years now.

I don’t think you can eat medicated feed which is the major reason why I don’t use it. I am also not found of using medication to prevent problems and I would want to be able to select the ones who are more resistant if I do have a issue
If the medicated feed uses Amprolium (most do) it's safe to eat, just read the labels of the feed.

Back
Top Bottom