Highland man in Missouri(cattle), learnin' the chicken trade.

Pat in the hat

Hatching
Nov 20, 2016
Trying to learn how to have a permanent structure chicken coop on 40 acres, with Highland cattle. All said and done, I would like eggs and meat. I have a bit of background with chicken, but not to this extent. Please help me come up with a plan.

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. If you take a look at the "Meat birds etc" forum, it may get you off to a good start, along with the Coops and Runs forum.
You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=learning+centre and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
CT

Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Do you expect to have dual purpose chicken breeds - not as good either as layers or meat birds? Or to have separate laying breeds and meat breeds? You may also want to join your state thread so you can find out what is going on in your area. Just put state name in search box and it will come up for you.

Greetings from Kansas, Pat in the Hat, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! You will find BYC to be a huge help as you get your chicken keeping underway. Drumstick Diva's post above is very important....are you looking for meat birds, egg layers, or both? Lots of decisions to make but big fun when you consider all the possibilities! Best wishes and good luck to you! :)

Delaware and Rhode Island Reds were the breeds I am looking at. I am looking for dual purpose. With the cattle on the land, I am hoping to have them peck the bugs from the cow droppings and spread it around in doing so. Problem I have is I also want a garden on the property and I am a bit concerned about how to balance it. I have no chicken fencing, only barbed. Would love to keep it open range, with auto doors on the coops, but I think that's askin' a bit much.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom