Highlight light brown color on white bresse?

CNJ

Free Ranging
Oct 12, 2020
Oahu
My Bresse cockerel has a highlighted vaguely light brown color on the top part, is this common? Its not pure white.
DSCN0215.JPG

I have whites, blacks, and lavenders and I cull for yellow/brown in my whites. If he is getting color in his tail as well maybe he is a lavender? They can look light tan.

I have whites, blacks, and lavenders and I cull for yellow/brown in my whites. If he is getting color in his tail as well maybe he is a lavender? They can look light tan.
Okay thanks for the information. I have three different age batches of white Bresse chickens that I ordered from three different farms. I do have a batch with one male and one female that are pure white. The last batch of four are too young to tell, they are only three weeks old. The legs on the last batch are just turning blue.

The colors definitely change - fun isn't it? I have older all white Bresse, and these new babies that are 8 weeks and 3 weeks old. :)

The colors definitely change - fun isn't it? I have older all white Bresse, and these new babies that are 8 weeks and 3 weeks old. :)
I just found this video on youtube, the white bresse chicken has a little tan color , looks like my chicken. Also, in a slow motion close up shot ,while one of the roosters were lifting up his feet to walk, you can see that his feet is crooked. Lol....the tan line is flawed.

Last edited:
Ha right? If you look at the breed standards, both would be flaws. But I love my chickens just the way they are. One of my lavenders is getting black feathers on her back. *Shakes head* lol - she is one of my favorites so she could grow horns and I'd still be like "You do you sister." LOL

If the bresse are being bred mainly for meat I would accept a minor color flaw or imperfect toes if the trade off was a great eating bird with good feed conversion, vigor, etc..

If you are breeding to a SOP there is little wiggle room for structure, color, etc.. People breeding to SOP are critically important to preserve and improve each variety.

I Have not yet tried to breed to SOP. I would have to fall absolutely in love with a particular variety to make that commitment.

I have one that has crooked toes and black bleeding through and a little black on one tail. However, his body type is much bigger than the rusty one and he is two weeks younger. I am more concerned about body type then feather color.

I plan on crossing a clean white Bresse chicken with a white Plymouth rock latter this year. Two different pairs from different farms and then breed the off springs together like they do to develop the Jumbo Cornish x Rock......

Last edited:
I have one that has crooked toes and black bleeding through and a little black on one tail. However, his body type is much bigger than the rusty one and he is two weeks younger. I am more concerned about body type then feather color.

I plan on crossing a clean white Bresse chicken with a white Plymouth rock latter this year. Two different pairs from different farms and then breed the off springs together like they do to develop the Jumbo Cornish x Rock......
Indeed - I just bought enough to keep the very best and freezer camp the rest. :)

Back
Top Bottom