Highnoon hatch? What is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WriterofWords, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
  2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    A hatch is commonly used as a fighting cock. I don't know anything about the High Noon part.

3. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Ahhh ok, I was wondering about that because it's a big sport here even though it was outlawed almost a year ago. Thanks a bunch.

4. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow he sure is pretty! And expensive!!! [​IMG]

ETA:
    I seen some on egg bid maybe ebay I think they were called pumpkins? Or something close to that. And they looked about like that but were orange colored!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  5. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    How are the hens for layers?

6. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    "high noon" sounds like the BLOODLINE.....

kinda like an arabian horse from "bask" or "khmosabi" bloodlines..
    quarterhorses from the "dunn it" line

here in socal..... i hear that is the "going" price for a mature gamebird roo...

7. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    Highnoon is a bloodline of the American Gamefowl "cluster" called Hatch. Hatch fowl take their name from Sandford Hatch who originated the first ones in New York decades ago. Since then many lines have been created, some of which have nothing in common with the original lines but had the named tacked on there to sell them better. Not saying that's the case here, they look like the typical Hatch - a b.b. red with blue or green legs. $55 for a dozen eggs isn't that expensive in gamefowl.

hens make ok layers, if you keep taking their eggs. They have amazing instinct for broodyness and are great for free ranging. Don't get a rooster if you plan on trying to keep it anywhere where it can so much as see another rooster or you'll have problems.....

The rooster in the pic looks like a really good example of the breed and would probably be good for showing in shows sactioned by the American Game Fowl Society.

8. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I just showed the picture to our head custodian who has a brother who used to cockfight. He said that is exactly what it is, don't even think about it! He said if I want a hen, he can get me a hen for free, just don't ask where or why. I don't think I'll do it though, as pretty as they are I just don't the peaceful existence on my land disrupted by a fighting breed. Thanks for the information all.

9. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    so far so good.... i have 3 hens and a roo stOEGB. (from a hatchery). he is in full veiw of several roosters just a 5 foot chain link fence bettween them(wings clipped)... one side i have my blue cochin (hens and roo) on the other side is a small pasture full of all my odds and ends chickens and about 7 rooster (mostly banties)
    the OEG roo has been sweet so far,, i have been preparing myself to deal with a nasty roo... so far nothing.. he is 8 months old..
    i also have 3 andelusian hens and an EE hen in with them.. the hens all seam quite nice very curious and calm,, not hysterical and flighty like the andalusians

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Wonder how long it'll be before this gets shut down? LOL

Gamefowl can actually be very nice pets.

I agree, gamefowl with the bloodline named "Hatch".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by