Hilarious! (But Could Have Gone BAD)

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
Yesterday while I was at work I got a series of texts from my sons at home. They saw chickens out and diligently herded them into the big coop then hunted for the security breech that had let them out but found nothing. (The birds had been confined because tall, wet grass after heavy rain was shorting the poultry netting).

What my sons didn't realize then and I didn't realize until an hour ago was that the chickens they hunted through the woods for and chased back were the boys from Camp Cockerel -- who had apparently forced their door against a compromised bungee.

I went out to feed birds and move the fence for mowing on the first dry day this week and saw that Camp Cockerel was empty.

Suspecting what had happened, I opened Neuchickenstein and there they were.

Fortunately, Rameses is easy-going so there is no blood -- though the boys are hiding in a corner.

I'm having an optical migraine, but once I can go back out I'll mow down the fence perimeter, reset the wire, and let the birds into the run.

If the boys don't go home to roost on their own at sunset I'll have to fetch them once it's fully dark.

Could have been a lot worse!

So glad you found all your chickens and no one was hurt!!!

I had a chicken scare the other day - I counted chickens in the enclosed run and one was missing! We looked over both sides of the enclosed run (integrating two flocks, so I had chicken wire down the middle), and couldn't find a pullet, so we thought she'd run out the door when we weren't looking. We walked all over the property calling and looking for her. Finally, about an hour before sunset, I thought to check the run again, and there she was! She had gotten over into the bigger chickens' side, and was hiding inside the pallet the feeder was on. The pallet was lying directly on the ground, and she was a dark color, so I overlooked her. I was surprised she still fit into the pallet, but it was a great place to go to avoid the larger chickens pecking her.

Still not sure why she chose to fly over the 5 ft chicken wire over to that side, but I'm glad it all turned out okay. She was exhausted and so happy to see me, she let me pick her right up. I put her in the see-no-touch dog crate over on her side of the run for the night to recover, and she was all perky in the morning. But man, those few hours when I thought she was lost were just nerve wracking!

So glad you found all your chickens and no one was hurt!!!

I had a chicken scare the other day - I counted chickens in the enclosed run and one was missing! We looked over both sides of the enclosed run (integrating two flocks, so I had chicken wire down the middle), and couldn't find a pullet, so we thought she'd run out the door when we weren't looking. We walked all over the property calling and looking for her. Finally, about an hour before sunset, I thought to check the run again, and there she was! She had gotten over into the bigger chickens' side, and was hiding inside the pallet the feeder was on. The pallet was lying directly on the ground, and she was a dark color, so I overlooked her. I was surprised she still fit into the pallet, but it was a great place to go to avoid the larger chickens pecking her.

Still not sure why she chose to fly over the 5 ft chicken wire over to that side, but I'm glad it all turned out okay. She was exhausted and so happy to see me, she let me pick her right up. I put her in the see-no-touch dog crate over on her side of the run for the night to recover, and she was all perky in the morning. But man, those few hours when I thought she was lost were just nerve wracking!

The birds that were out were only the cull cockerels, but it could have gone bad if they'd have fought with my Flockmaster.

They might go home on their own tonight at dusk or I might have to move them.

Boys have been safely returned to Camp Cockerel.

I believed that I might have had a case of mistaken identity with a fast-maturing pullet and had a pullet in the group. So I had a good look at the suspect bird's saddle area and left her in the main coop.

Back
Top Bottom