Hillside coop! I want to hear from you!

This is gold! Thanks everyone! I have some major video/links homework to do 🤓
Some of the things I’ve learned so far:
Space! Chicken need it to be healthy and loved.
Be conscious of ventilation! be sure there is enough and it works well with the design, ventilation from above in the cold areas.
Drainage- yes, it’s draining towards the garden area (luckily my husband is a hardscape landscaper so he is very concerned with that part👍)
Direction. it is facing South - we will be making sure there is mass in the back that will hold heat to create a “constant” temp.
more, more, more! This is so great to have this community!

When considering your ventilation, be sure that it can't be blocked by snow. Generous roof overhangs are your best friend.

This diagram comes from an article on cow barns, but the principles are the same.

natural-ventilation.png

Also, there is a thing called a Woods Coop, that was specifically designed for northern climates. As a southern chicken keeper I don't know much about them, but I know that there's another Canadian on here, @Ted Brown who advocates for them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-kd-knock-down-10-by-16-coop-pictorial.75421/

Also, there is a thing called a Woods Coop, that was specifically designed for northern climates. As a southern chicken keeper I don't know much about them, but I know that there's another Canadian on here, @Ted Brown who advocates for them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-kd-knock-down-10-by-16-coop-pictorial.75421/

The premise behind the Woods Coops is that fresh air is the most critical aspect of poultry houses. It works in many climates including harsh northern winter conditions; it is not well suited to hot, humid locations.

The designs, of which there are several, simply maximize the flow of air to remove humidity and off gases from poultry waste. In practice this means an open front covered by hardware cloth only with additional windows that open/close according to the season.

The most common design referenced on this site is the "KD" or "Knock Down" style and can be built in various sizes ranging from 6' by 10' to 10' by 16'.

The premise behind the Woods Coops is that fresh air is the most critical aspect of poultry houses. It works in many climates including harsh northern winter conditions; it is not well suited to hot, humid locations.

The designs, of which there are several, simply maximize the flow of air to remove humidity and off gases from poultry waste. In practice this means an open front covered by hardware cloth only with additional windows that open/close according to the season.

The most common design referenced on this site is the "KD" or "Knock Down" style and can be built in various sizes ranging from 6' by 10' to 10' by 16'.
I’m interested. I will look into this more.

Thank you for sharing!

When considering your ventilation, be sure that it can't be blocked by snow. Generous roof overhangs are your best friend.

This diagram comes from an article on cow barns, but the principles are the same.

View attachment 2688746

Excellent! I can see the Air movement is so important.

While I agree with ensuring that vents are not blocked roof overhangs are usually recommended to get one out of the rain when coming/going from the coop, not to provide adequate ventilation.

If one depends on openings in the standard sizes/spacings used for trusses it is very difficult to provide the needed ventilation (1 square foot per bird) for other than a few birds. You will need windows or other vents in the walls.

My Woods coop has no roof overhangs and has no "vents" other than those provided by the various windows and, most critically, the open front.

Last edited:
While I agree with ensuring that vents are not blocked roof overhangs are usually recommended to get one out of the rain when coming/going from the coop, not to provide adequate ventilation.

If one depends on openings in the standard sizes/spacings used for trusses it is very difficult to provide the needed ventilation (1 square foot per bird) for other than a few birds. You will need windows or other vents in the walls.

My Woods coop has no roof overhangs and has no "vents" other than those provided by the various windows and, most critically, the open front.

I guess that depends on the shape and size of the coop and the vents. :)

Back
Top Bottom