1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hint to increase calcium for laying hens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by liann, Aug 28, 2014.

1. liann

liann New Egg

Aug 26, 2014
    My 20 laying hens were struggling this spring with decreased laying and weak shells. I have tried to get them to eat oyster shells but they won't. I reached out and found an idea of mashing up their eggs and feeding it back to them. I also found information about feeding them yogurt. So I combined the two with great results!

I put the eggs shells in the microwave for a few minutes to kill any bacteria on the shells, then I put the in the blender to make the shells super fine (I don't want the girls to get wind of the shell and start going after their eggs). Then I add a 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt serve it up. They eat it so fast and their laying increased with nice hard shells. No egg eating either.

I hope this helps other fellow chicken enthusiasts I am not sure if there are any issues with my method, but so far no side effects other than happy chickens.[​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I've never had to do that, or even supply oyster shell, but that's a great idea! Things change with chickens all the time and I may need to do that one day. I really like that you ground them into a powder with your blender, because those shell pieces can have little sharp edges on them.....

Thank you for sharing that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by