Hissing Goose - Friend or Foe?

Laptops battery is dead and don't have my charger :S
All I can say is that the Roman tuft looks like a male and the other one I can't see properly but looking at the lobes it might be female!

Sometimes geese hiss at you to ask for food. I've seen that happens in some individuals. Geese come with different personalities and some of them simply use language in a different way than others, like we human usually do. You can find lots of this examples in human language, where you use one word for something but others use it for something else.

Here is a better picture of my saddleback who I think is
around 8 ish months maybe I'm not sure

We have had the geese for about a month or so... They are hilarious, they know where I keep the grain and are there to meet me every morning... The gander hisses sometimes and a few times has taken to nibbling on my jacket, sometimes very softly but other times I know he is trying to find that fat layer I have to grab ahold of, the bites do hurt and I have started grabbing him by the bill when he does it and very firmly telling him no ( he has only done it a few times)... The lady we got this pair from didn't care all that much for them (I mean she didn't like them) so they haven't had as much human interaction but whats funny is when the Hubs goes out the gander tries to climb in his lap lol.. He absolutely loves him.

We have had the geese for about a month or so... They are hilarious, they know where I keep the grain and are there to meet me every morning... The gander hisses sometimes and a few times has taken to nibbling on my jacket, sometimes very softly but other times I know he is trying to find that fat layer I have to grab ahold of, the bites do hurt and I have started grabbing him by the bill when he does it and very firmly telling him no ( he has only done it a few times)... The lady we got this pair from didn't care all that much for them (I mean she didn't like them) so they haven't had as much human interaction but whats funny is when the Hubs goes out the gander tries to climb in his lap lol.. He absolutely loves him.

Aww what a sweet pic If my gander did that I'd be watching that bill of his boy can they bite hard. I still have the scar on my top lip to prove it. Still love them to pieces though.

I am glad to got them from the person who didn't like them. Just remember breeding season is coming fast that means a much more change in behavior for your gander.

Aww what a sweet pic If my gander did that I'd be watching that bill of his boy can they bite hard. I still have the scar on my top lip to prove it. Still love them to pieces though.

I am glad to got them from the person who didn't like them. Just remember breeding season is coming fast that means a much more change in behavior for your gander.

LOL... That's what I said, I can hand feed but there are times he looks at me like he would like to test it out... I just stand up... I hope and pray we don't have to many issues once breeding starts, never have I been around breeding geese so I guess it will be a lesson on what to do and not do...
smile.png
I'm so glad we have them, they already have added so much to our little farm, their antics always bring a smile to my face and they are like dogs, they follow or lead us all over the property lol
. If I step on the back porch even nearly an acre away they can see (or hear) and give me a loud greeting :) and God forbid they hear me cough ( just got over a cold)
We have been working on an enclosure for her hoping she will decide she likes it well enough to use once she starts laying this spring, Downsizing the chicken flock to give the geese their own area more to protect the curious chickens than anything else lol

LOL... That's what I said, I can hand feed but there are times he looks at me like he would like to test it out... I just stand up... I hope and pray we don't have to many issues once breeding starts, never have I been around breeding geese so I guess it will be a lesson on what to do and not do...
smile.png
I'm so glad we have them, they already have added so much to our little farm, their antics always bring a smile to my face and they are like dogs, they follow or lead us all over the property lol
. If I step on the back porch even nearly an acre away they can see (or hear) and give me a loud greeting :) and God forbid they hear me cough ( just got over a cold)
We have been working on an enclosure for her hoping she will decide she likes it well enough to use once she starts laying this spring, Downsizing the chicken flock to give the geese their own area more to protect the curious chickens than anything else lol
Or sneeze that always bring out the hollering in mine. All ganders pretty much get very protective during breeding so just keep that in mind and they will stay that way all through breeding and egg laying and brooding and gosling so pretty much most of late winter into spring and summer if you let them keep their babies, which by the way they are awesome parents both of them papa goose takes his responsibility very serious. They are a joy to watch with their littles.

Back
Top Bottom