1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hissing Goose - Friend or Foe?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by MamacatPatch, Sep 26, 2010.

1. SunnyD

SunnyD Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    I should have said your goose looks A LOT LIKE mine. Now that I looked a little closer I believe your goose has a bit differently shaped beak than mine does. My bad.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:I believe your goose is just that a female. I have Cotton Patch geese and yours looks just like my goose "Gracie!" Cotton Patch Geese are sexually dimorphic with the male being solid white. That being said..both of mine will hiss with the gander being the loudest and most persistent of the two.I think they are just confused on when they should use it! Here's a pic of my Cotton Patch Geese George and Gracie.https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/29467_cotton_patch_geese_gracie_george.jpg

I would think that it was a male because at the beginning I thought that all females had a little pouch under there belly that is used for eggs but I see that your picture shows that your female does not have that? But the reason I think that it is a male not is that it is hissing and I have heard my goose hiss but not constantly like this one..... Do you agree?

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    There is a gander (I think it's a gander) that used to be really docile with me until recently. He will hiss at me and, if I don't leave, he will threaten me like yours do, sometimes stepping towards me. He will also do this whenever he has to pass close to me even if I'm not doing anything. So far, he hasn't bitten or even chased me, but I know he doesn't want me near him. I was surprised because I think he's a Toulouse and I hear they're pretty docile. He has an Embden friend (possibly a female) and, perhaps, that's why he's becoming more aggressive.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  4. aliciasch

aliciasch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2015
    SW Oklahoma

How do you know that saddleback is a male!!?? I'm trying to add a pic of my geese. The while Roman and a saddleback. No clue on sex but was told saddleback was a girl who recently started hissing at me. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  5. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    I'm quite good in sexing geese and so are a lot of other goose owners so if you take a picture close enough of the goose you want to sex we can sex it.
    Just to let you know females also hiss not just males.
    So if a goose hisses out of nowhere it doesn't mean it's a gander ;)

1 person likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @servpolice can you enlarge the pic she posted?

7. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Unfortunately I can't zoom?
    I use a phone you see ;)

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] Here ya go serv

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015