Hissing runner duckling?

goldfishcracker

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2017
So i got two runner ducklings to go with the rest of my 12 day old runner ducklings (theyre the same age), but one of them opens their mouth when i put my hand near her? Like shes trying to hiss or something and her beak kind of chatters and shakes when my hand is any where near her. She also doesnt like being handled although shes brave enough to eat out of my hand after a day but still gets defensive whenever i randomly put my hand near her.

Is this normal? Why does her beak shake/chatter. She seems to do this to the other ducklings too although theyre all calm and cuddle together. Shes the distant one of the group though (theres 4 altogether)

Also does anybody know if shes a pure indian runner or not? She seems different from the rest.. thanks :)

She spunds nervous,thats like a defense maconizim.Hissing is just letting you know be careful.when my ducks what the hens to move they do this then lunge the heads at them.When my geese and ducks eat out my hand they do this,its almost thier way of showing aggression to the others.

She spunds nervous,thats like a defense maconizim.Hissing is just letting you know be careful.when my ducks what the hens to move they do this then lunge the heads at them.When my geese and ducks eat out my hand they do this,its almost thier way of showing aggression to the others.
Oh that makes sense! Thank you :)

Start handling it more...That is bad behaviour in a Duck....I have had a few that behave like that..I take their bill in my hand and give a little shake to tell them to behave...As they got more used to being handled they settled down...:)

Back
Top Bottom