Hitting the 3 year mark with chickens: Are diseases more common?

moneill100

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2022
Bloomington, IN
Hello all!

I'm in a bit of a predicament as strange instances have befallen my flock. I had 15 birds, all a mix of breeds. They're all at least three years old at this point and this is what's happened in the past month:
- One of our golden comets has succumb to either EYP or water belly, I know this is common with hybrid egg layers so I wasn't too surprised since she is 3 years old. She's still alive and eating and drinking normally, just moving a bit slower.
- Another golden comet suddenly died the other night, no physical trauma on the body. I noticed that she had a very poopy bottom so I'm sure it was something internal, but did not perform an autopsy.
- And now our cream legbar is fluffed up and lethargic, I'm keeping an eye on her to see if she starts exhibiting other symptoms of something.
I suppose my question is, does this sound like a larger issue or is it just that my chickens are getting older and strange problems are more likely to crop up as they get older? This is my first time raising chickens so I'm not sure what to expect passing the 3 year mark!

I appreciate any and all advice!

I think it can be expected for the issues with the golden comets. It sounds like the symptoms of the legbar are different, though. I would look into what may be going on with them.

I have had a number of hens get sick with different things at the same time. I thought it was avian leukosis, but it was actually just random different things. You have to get curious, but it can definitely be unrelated, too.

I have a couple of hens past 3 years old, but you are totally right that many of them succumb to something before they get there. I think the breed can definitely affect it, mainly since if they lay eggs more frequently they have a better the chance for issues to arise.

The only weakest link in my flock are my hybrids, Plymouth blues. Other than that I had a hawk attack, one stuffed herself with straw, and a couple of rooster injuries, half my flock is three years old. The younger ones are all healthy.

Back
Top Bottom