Hiya! New Member with a lot of Questions!

LittlePigeon

Chirping
Jul 24, 2016
Hello everybody! Nice to finally join in the fun!
My name's Danni and I currently live in Connecticut. I am very new to chickens and don't currently have a flock yet but hopefully by the spring of next year I will have some hens of my own!

I have couple of questions though and I'm not really sure which forum I should use to ask them!

1. I can't decided between a few chicken breeds and would like some advice on Orpingtons, Plymouth Rocks, Australorps, and Wyandottes...
and
2. I can't find any information on whether chickens are even allowed in my town. I've checked the Connecticut board but my town isn't listed. Could somebody help point me in the right direction? I live in Vernon Connecticut. There was a ban in place but I'm not sure if it's been lifted since? I've been hearing a lot of mixed information...

Thank you for your advice and I can't wait to meet everybody!

Hi Danni!

I would check you county's Zoning laws to see if chickens are allowed and how many!

I've found my town's PDF file of zoning regulations but I have no clue how to read it or interpret it? There is nothing in the file that says they are or are not allowed. So... I'm kind of stuck!

Thanks for your reply though!

Hi Danni!

I would check you county's Zoning laws to see if chickens are allowed and how many!

I've found my town's PDF file of zoning regulations but I have no clue how to read it or interpret it? There is nothing in the file that says they are or are not allowed. So... I'm kind of stuck!

Thanks for your reply though!

Welcome! I'm so glad you want to get in the wonderful world of chickens! They really are amazing:)

So I can only help you with your first question, as I have no idea about Connecticut laws.

Alrighty:

So, I have 4 Australorps of my own(as well as 3 Easter Eggers) but that has been my only flock thus far so I can just say what I know about my girls:) They are honestly the best:) So sweet and calm birds! I have had no complaints about them this far except for that I have had one girl try to be a brooder(a hen that wants to hatch chicks)and that was a pain but I broke her of it fairly quickly. Also, it stinks that I can't tell them apart as easy now that they're older but I'm slowly figuring out which is which!

Out with the negatives though! They have had no problem with each other or my EE's, my dog, neighborhood squirrels
tongue.png
, or my family! They are sweet girls and will follow me around and are not afraid of me! They are BEAUTIFUL! Their feathers reflect blues, purples and green and are gorgeous! They are VERY good layers. I usually get 5-7 eggs from each girl per week.

I wrote a review on Australorps if you want to go and read it in my account, it might have some more details that I'm leaving out. I'll try and find the link and add it in here later:))) Hope this helps! Good luck!!

Welcome! I'm so glad you want to get in the wonderful world of chickens! They really are amazing:)

So I can only help you with your first question, as I have no idea about Connecticut laws.

Alrighty:

So, I have 4 Australorps of my own(as well as 3 Easter Eggers) but that has been my only flock thus far so I can just say what I know about my girls:) They are honestly the best:) So sweet and calm birds! I have had no complaints about them this far except for that I have had one girl try to be a brooder(a hen that wants to hatch chicks)and that was a pain but I broke her of it fairly quickly. Also, it stinks that I can't tell them apart as easy now that they're older but I'm slowly figuring out which is which!

Out with the negatives though! They have had no problem with each other or my EE's, my dog, neighborhood squirrels
tongue.png
, or my family! They are sweet girls and will follow me around and are not afraid of me! They are BEAUTIFUL! Their feathers reflect blues, purples and green and are gorgeous! They are VERY good layers. I usually get 5-7 eggs from each girl per week.

I wrote a review on Australorps if you want to go and read it in my account, it might have some more details that I'm leaving out. I'll try and find the link and add it in here later:))) Hope this helps! Good luck!!

Hi Danni!

X2 on the above advice and welcome to BYC! As far as breeds to choose, you will find advocates for every breed there is as well as some like me who prefer a mixed flock. I have had all the breeds you are considering - and at the same time. Variety is the spice of life. Hope your town allows chickens. Good luck to you!

X2 on the above advice and welcome to BYC! As far as breeds to choose, you will find advocates for every breed there is as well as some like me who prefer a mixed flock. I have had all the breeds you are considering - and at the same time. Variety is the spice of life. Hope your town allows chickens. Good luck to you!
I've found my town's PDF file on zoning laws, however, I'm not sure how to interpret the information in the file. It doesn't say if they're allowed or if they're not allowed so... I'm kind of confused! Hahaa.

I've found my town's PDF file on zoning laws, however, I'm not sure how to interpret the information in the file. It doesn't say if they're allowed or if they're not allowed so... I'm kind of confused! Hahaa.

So, instead of county, I would say check your townships zoining ordinances. Sometimes townships may extend beyond county lines. Here in Michigan, township takes precedence, and you can usually find better regulation info in your township regs than in your county regs.

Back
Top Bottom