Hiya peeps! What's the best age to take roos away from Mammy-hen?

Quote:
Agree
MY six Red Sex-Link hens are fertile. Maybe your breeding roo is not fertile. In three years, out of six hens, I have not had one broody Sex-Link. Mine are Red Sex-Link and that is a combination of a RIR Rooster (seldom broody) or New Hampshire Rooster (also seldom broody) and a White Leghorn (non-setter) or White Rock (rarely broody). That is the reason you or me neither have a broody hen, they were bred from un-broody breeds. I hatch mine in the incubator and I can assure you that whoever told you that sex-links are infertile is very wrong. I hatched 22 chicks off of my six hens crossed into a Production Red Rooster and the only thing that is odd about Sex-Link is because they are Hybrids, their chicks are not color sexable like the parents were. This fact may be what confuses people. Just remember just becuase a hen doesn't go broody doesn't mean that her eggs are no good....She was bred to lay not sit!

I also agree that you have two roo's. But that is ok, finding a good home for a chicken is easy if you try. In the last two months I have found new homes for nearly 100 chicks and adult chickens. Just know that mama will put up one heck of a fight if you're not careful but the boys are big enough in my opinion!

Beautiful Birds! Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom