Hmm, how should I do this?

Robin'sBrood

Crowing
12 Years
May 8, 2008
North Carolina
Well, sadly the time is here. Time to return the cockerels.
hit.gif

We have two 15-16 week olds. So far, only one is crowing (that I know of.) Should I return both at once, or one this week and the other once he starts crowing? Which way would be less traumatic for my 3 girls, losing both boys at once or one at a time? TIA!

Ack! I'm so sorry.
sad.png

I don't have an answer for you but I may be facing the same dilemma soon myself (see Rooster Reality Check in the Raising Chicks section).
hmm.png

I gave away my extra roosters all at once. True, I still have two roosters that I'm keeping, but...my gut feeling says traumatize them once, not twice. Edited to add: Maybe traumatize is too strong a word. What I meant was, let them restructure the pecking order once and get it over with.

Last edited:
I was only able to catch one tonight anyway and it was the one that has to go first, my crowing boy. I'll see if I can catch the other one in the morning.

My dad used to use a wire coat hanger. Undo it, leaving the curved end alone. Set it on the ground, or gently hook it around the leg, when they try to get loose, their feet stay splayed out, thus keeping them 'hooked'....it takes a bit of patience, but if they are busy eating, you can do it.

Are you sure they will notice if they go missing? One of my hens died leaving the other alone and she seemed quite happy about it. She did not miss her companion at all.

I returned him (see avatar) this morning.
hit.gif
I'm going to wait until my SLW starts crowing before returning him. Maybe he'll never learn how to crow.
fl.gif
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom