1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hmm...I was wondering?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by peapickinchicks, Sep 9, 2008.

1. peapickinchicks

peapickinchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    I was wondering if anyone else has linoleum floors in their coop. I know I need litter in nest boxes for when they lay, but is it necessay to have deep litter on the floor in the summer if you sweep everyday?

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

ive seen plenty of coops with it in them,, but if you dont put enough "bedding" down, when you go to sweep, your gonna just end up wiping poo all over,, the bedding will dry it up,,, cause "wet"poo is jus nasty,,haha.the reason (i think) they use linoleum is for when ya do the "deep" cleaning, its easy to mop and wash.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have linoleum on my coop floor.

I put down pine shavings and then sweep it and mop it once a week. (Lately, my boys have been doing it on their own.... and I love it)

Makes for easy clean up and the girls love clean up day whether it's Friday afternoon or Saturday morning... there is just something about a freshly cleaned coop every week.

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:haha,, i have to close the coop door on my sunday clean-up,,,they WONT leave me alone,, they love looking for "bits" when i sweep,, and run in to "frolic" hehehe,, in the new straw and shavings ( yes im weird and use both) [​IMG][​IMG]

5. peapickinchicks

peapickinchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Thanks for the replys fellas, I knew the litter was to help with soaking up poo, I just didn't know if there were anymore necessary reasons for it other than poo.

6. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    We do. It makes clean up very easy. I am glad that we chose to use it. We brought it from the remnants (sp) section of Home Depot.

7. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Same here. We used a about six $0.39 self-stick tiles from Lowes in our Playhouse Coop.

~Phyllis

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Yeah, we put down linoleum tiles and are working toward the deep litter method. DBF put in a removeable board that hold in the shavings when we open the side of the coop to clean it. I may have him put in a wider board eventually.

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I was wondering if linoleum tiles would be helpful in keeping my coop floor clean. I couldn't figure out how to make it easy to sweep though when there is a board keeping the bedding in. I love the idea of making a board that is either removable or hinged to be able to just sweep it all out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by