Hmmm EXTRA EXTRA jumbo

annrich

Songster
12 Years
May 27, 2007
Western NY
Hi all
My RIR has been laying for about 6 weeks. She lays eggs the size of tennis balls , always double yolkers. She lays about 4 days out of the week. I was wondering if the size is going to change? I do get double yolks from the newbies sometimes but she has very large eggs and her comb is huge and flopping over. It is also fire engine red. Does anyone know why her comb would do that? All my other hens have average combs, nice and red and lay great.

I don't have a light on in the coop either. She free ranges most of the day. Is in a coop with attached run at night. They have great space in the coop and run. She reminds me of a hen in an egg production company.

My poor baby

Sometimes, it's an inherited trait. I have a RIR/Buff Orp cross pullet who lays those whopper eggs/double yolkers frequently. I was told that the Buff Orps she descended from are genetically predisposed to laying the doubles.

One of my Golden Buffs, Blanche, fits the same description as yours (big floppy comb) and she also lays giant double-yoked eggs several times a week. I just cherish them. At my house, we battle over who gets Blanche's eggs!

Thank you so much for asking and answering my questions LOL.... I have a couple of BR that their combs are big, red, and are flopped over too... and the past two days I have been getting a HUGE egg... double yokers... well I now think I know who is laying... "curly top or floppy"
gig.gif

Can I charge extra for these eggs??? LOL

Thanks everyone!!

I feel better knowing it's not something I did wrong to her. I just thinks she looks so funny with that floppy thing. But I can tell her apart from the other RIR's.

As for the giant eggs. I don't eat eggs but I have a large family that loves eggs. And they also fight over them. They write their names on it with a sharpie.

As for the giant eggs. I don't eat eggs but I have a large family that loves eggs. And they also fight over them. They write their names on it with a sharpie.

gig.gif
too funny​

Last edited:
Quote:
She is 100% RIR
My camera is broke right now. I will look for a younger picture of her and post it.

chickens013.jpg

Well she is one of them by the ladder. The red ones lol. wow Look at that camera date. I wish there was green grass like that in Jan. lol

They were only 11 weeks in this picture.

I need new pictures

Back
Top Bottom