Hmmm...roos or pullets

Sorry, I'm having so much trouble navigating this website today. As I started to say on the first page, a few months ago one of my hens disappeared. She was known for going on a walk-about so I wasn't as concerned as my hubby. There was no evidence of
FOUL
big_smile.png
play so I came to the conclusion that she would turn up when she was ready then 2 days later my rooster was stolen by a fox...........broke my heart!! So now I have a predator. We repaired the fence and went on about our normal routine until a couple of days later.....here comes my missing hen with 4 peeps. My poor rooster was a daddy for the first time and wasn't even here to see his family. I was elated that my beautiful rooster had offspring after all these years. I would love it if one of them was a cockerel but I'm not sure. It's funny to watch them as they square off and kick each other but is this behavior of a pullet? They are getting big now and I've never heard them crow still only peeping and no large comb like their daddy. Is there still hope that one might be a cockerel? They are Jersey Giants.

You could post some photos and maybe folks could let you know. Most little roosters get pink combs by about 5 weeks of age, most pullet combs remain yellow orange until they are a few months old, so if you aren't seeing any pink red combs than you might only have pullets which in most instances people want.

Sorry about your rooster, the predators always seem to get the good ones as they often go out to defend their hens.

Here are two chickens whose genders are in question. I actually heard someone crowing this morning but still do not know which one did it or if both could be doing it. My phone does not take great pictures so this is what I have. I don't have a zoom.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom