hmmmm am i missing something?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovesduckies, May 25, 2011.

1. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
  2. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    Haha, all domestic breeds of duck except the muscovy are derived from mallards. Selective breeding has allowed us to produce lots of shapes, sizes and colours from just one species [​IMG]

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Well, ALL "domestic" duck breeds except for Muscovies and possibly the Black Cayuga are descended from mallards, but I'd say basically, this person just doesn't know the terminology well.

To me, if you said "domestic mallard" I would take that to mean captive raised and bred wild strain mallards that would mature at 3-4 pounds and be fully able to fly - genetically the same as the pure wild birds found in nature, just raised in captivity.

Versus a Rouen which is the product of intentional selective breeding by man for size and meat quality, weighs between 6 and 12 pounds, depending upon the strain, and is essentially flightless or can take only very short flights due to its body mass.

4. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Am I missing something? What makes them so special to be priced at $7.50 each?! Full grown ones aren't worth that much!

and yes around here Rouens are often called domesticated Mallards or Giant Mallards. A lot of the old timers don't know what a Rouen is (or even how to pronounce it for that matter) and call all ducks with mallard coloring Mallards of some sort.

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Its a new sales pitch so people can think they are buying something extra special and rare... [​IMG]

6. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    idk maybe i am reading it funny cuz i know i have a weird brain but that just sounds weird to me.. i know where they come from.. they all come from mallards and scovies are different but i guess i read that as like rouens were only called domesticated mallards instead of a bigger mallard clone with 2 stripes instead of one.. idk i have a weird brain. idk about ya'll but my "domesticated" mallards are still pretty wild. they aren't as tame as my scovies

7. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    Quote:[​IMG]

aahhhh them half domesticated half wild breeds!? siiiiick!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by