HOA Rules Stop Me From Hatching Chickens

kiwibbE

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2020
My mom and I have been wanting to hatch chickens for a while now but once my dad said ok of course he had to enforce some rules. He told us that we would have to get permission from our neighbors before we started, because then he would feel comfortable fighting the HOA about it. But our backyard neighbors did not like the idea of it. This all happened last night.
Do any of you have an idea of what I could do to change the HOAs minds?

Is there actually a rule in your HOA charter that says you cannot have chickens? If there's no rule, do it anyways. You could always be courteous and just limit your flocks size and not keep a rooster. Also make sure you contain them either in a coop or your OWN yard and make sure you keep up with the litter to prevent the smell. I'd imagine the neighbors would eventually come around to the chickens if you and the chickens were polite. Cartons of fresh eggs on the neighbor's door step goes a long way too! 😉

There is not any specific rule saying you can't have chickens, it is against all fowl in general. I do not understand this rule at all because they are quite friendly creatures if they want to be. I am just worried that the neighbors that said no will report us and then after we are already attached to the chickens we will have to get rid of them :(

That's such a bummer. Sounds like your HOA is in need of a challenge on that rule and revote! That or a regime change. Best of luck to you. Hope it gets worked out in your favor!

Back
Top Bottom