HOA rules

Quote:
Consider Cypress. Some land there without HOAs. Just my .02. PM if you want to discuss it more.

My inlaws lived in Cypress, before they moved to Australia a few years ago. Seemed like a nice area. There was an Arabian horse farm within a mile from their house

I dont have a HOA. But I have elderly neighbors.
They now know about the girls. But she told me about her family having a goose as a pet when she was younger.. so maybe the girls. If they can keep quiet. Wont be in danger

Quote:
Its going to get worse, according to this article which heavily quotes this article. I mean, from the perspective that lots closer to the city will be unaffordable. Right now, they are somewhat affordable because some areas are not very nice, but later they will be even more expensive. I mostly know North Houston, and there are some places out in Spring, East of I45 that are unrestricted, as well as in Cypress. On a good day, a 45 minute commute one way.

Last edited:
We live in an area with a HOA...but here's where it gets weird. The original covenant said that the subdivision was supposed to be incorporated as a town within a certain time limit...which never happened. And, it's not mandatory to pay dues to the HOA. The county says we can have chickens, ducks, goats, sheep, and cattle or horses, it's 'per animal unit' by how much land you have. The HOA says we can't but I know of several people who DO have chickens, and even one family I have heard has a cow. The lots are between 1/4 and 1/2 acre so it's not much land.

I am getting chickens anyway. My neighbors that I've talked to don't care, and I will happily give eggs to the others to keep them quiet. I will take this to court if need be -- the HOA put itself into bankruptcy with legal fees several years ago to make one of my neighbors get rid of his Assistive Animal, a burro named Buddy. Buddy still lives here, just on the other side of the fence from the subdivision border, but his owner lost his house in the legal fight (it's how the HOA continues to exist, they seized his land) but the board filed in federal court rather than in county court so there is a lot of grey as to the legality of the judgement and the seizure. And it never WAS resolved whether it's even a legal HOA since we're not required to pay dues in order to purchase here, and they have not met the terms of the original covenant. Buddy's owner was unable to afford to contest the judgement as he had put everything he had, and all our donations besides, into his own legal fees.

The board also did an illegal land swap with one of the owners/board members who liked the original association property better than the land he purchased.

Thankfully, the nosy old 'blue hairs' as my husband calls them have either died off or have moved away.

They actually filled in the community pool with cement because they didn't like the kids splashing around in it, they thought they were too noisy (this was originally supposed to be a senior community too).

Last edited:
HOA rules are considered law in court. In our county they have to go to small claims and if you are in violation, you will lose.

Also, many HOA rules say valid for 10 years, but they renew automatically. You should read them carefully. We had our changed by getting half the people to vote for the change so that is one option.

Ah yes, the lovable Gestapo. We used to live in an HOA, they can be unbelievable. We put an add on to out fence and they sent us a letter because we didn't put a top rail on
hu.gif
, we would go along with all of our neighbors and make a game out of what we could do to tick them off. Everything from parking our pop up camper in the driveway, leaving toys out, not cutting the grass. Basically whoever got the nasty letter first won. I don't recommend doing it though. Some HOA's will send you a fine and no warning, ours always sent a warning first.

Our house was built about 20 years ago with solar panels built in then. About 10 years after we lived there the HOA sent us a letter telling us that we couldn't install solar panels as they weren't code approved. We sent them a letter back telling them to check their blue prints 'cause those things have been there longer than we were, they stopped talking to us.

You can beat them though, when we went through a massive drought people stopped water their lawns to save water but the HOA sent out letters telling people to water their grass. When the story hit the paper the letter's stopped.

You are right, IF the HOA is current it is considered law...mine is not current. At this point it is a club with voluntary membership and no real rights involved in being a member -- they are completely unable, legally, to enforce any lawn care, RV parking, junk pile, or maintenance rules on anyone here. Our county allows chickens, I already talked to them and to the sheriff's office and they ok'd me having them. The HOA disallows livestock except in the community stockpen, which they have elected not to allow anyone to use citing disrepair and unwillingness to pay for maintenance or the insurance fees for it.

We have a neighbor who has a cow...I am thinking that chickens are not going to be a problem.

There is renter who just moved into the house next to us -- she has not one but THREE barking dogs...I can't even go out to water my garden without setting them off for hours at a time. They barked for FIVE HOURS STRAIGHT a few days ago, DH had to shut the windows so he could listen to the TV they were so loud. I told DH I was going to spend the money for those shocker collars, drug the dogs and put them on -- the remotes will reach the 20 feet from our family room window to the dogs easily -- and hit it every time they open their mouths
wink.png

I have considered this quite carefully and if need be, I will incorporate myself and our little property as a nonprofit dedicated to public education regarding self sufficiency; they will have NO legal right to tell me I can't have chickens at that point since they will be part of the mission.

Last edited:
Quote:
You are in Arizona for crying out loud! Do they say if you can carry a gun? People born and raised there better get a clue: All these people moving to your state usually try to make things the way it was back home. "Thats not the way we did it back where I used to live," seems to be a common saying.

Back
Top Bottom