Hoarding hen or rodent behavior?

Buttercup902

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 2, 2014
So I am newer to chickens. I got my first ones in May. Of the 7 only 1 is laying and started in the last week. She has laid her egg in the boxes every time. Well a few days ago I noticed a bunch of feathers, and straw with poop moved into the box. So I dug that all out and found food pellets in the laying box. At first I thought the hen but now I am leaning towards rodent.

What do I do? We fixed some gaps in wire where something small could get in, but there is a chance they are living under the front step.mouse trap? poison?

Trap if you put poison you might kill your birds. As chickens will eat a dead mouse they could get poisoned if the mouse was poison and they would try to eat said poison as well. A live trap or snap trap is your safes bet honestly.

So I am newer to chickens. I got my first ones in May. Of the 7 only 1 is laying and started in the last week. She has laid her egg in the boxes every time. Well a few days ago I noticed a bunch of feathers, and straw with poop moved into the box. So I dug that all out and found food pellets in the laying box. At first I thought the hen but now I am leaning towards rodent.

What do I do? We fixed some gaps in wire where something small could get in, but there is a chance they are living under the front step.mouse trap? poison?
I'd use the trap. Even if you put poison outside the coop the rodents could easily take it indoors to be stored-and then be eaten by a chicken. When I want to "Trap" mice I take a bucket half filled with water, pour feed on top to cover the water, and place a board against the pail to be used as a ramp. When the mice jump in to get the feed they drown.

Quote: That is a great idea, and when all mice caught, the feed can be used like fermented feed also.
goodpost.gif

Yep, rodent hoarding...bucket traps work good.....any trap needs to be fenced off so bird cannot access them.
Snap traps can be kept in shoeboxes with small holes for mouse access.

Back
Top Bottom