Hoarding hen or rodent behavior?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Buttercup902, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Buttercup902

Buttercup902 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2014
    So I am newer to chickens. I got my first ones in May. Of the 7 only 1 is laying and started in the last week. She has laid her egg in the boxes every time. Well a few days ago I noticed a bunch of feathers, and straw with poop moved into the box. So I dug that all out and found food pellets in the laying box. At first I thought the hen but now I am leaning towards rodent.

What do I do? We fixed some gaps in wire where something small could get in, but there is a chance they are living under the front step.mouse trap? poison?

2. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Trap if you put poison you might kill your birds. As chickens will eat a dead mouse they could get poisoned if the mouse was poison and they would try to eat said poison as well. A live trap or snap trap is your safes bet honestly.

3. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    I'd use the trap. Even if you put poison outside the coop the rodents could easily take it indoors to be stored-and then be eaten by a chicken. When I want to "Trap" mice I take a bucket half filled with water, pour feed on top to cover the water, and place a board against the pail to be used as a ramp. When the mice jump in to get the feed they drown.

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, rodent hoarding...bucket traps work good.....any trap needs to be fenced off so bird cannot access them.
    Snap traps can be kept in shoeboxes with small holes for mouse access.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by