Hoarding/hiding rare and threatened breeds - Why?

Quote:
yeah, have heard that from many people.

Farmboy, I was just curious how closely you in-bred. I know in dogs linebreeding is generally more distant than father/daughter or mother/son breeding.

Quote:

Farmboy, I was just curious how closely you in-bred. I know in dogs linebreeding is generally more distant than father/daughter or mother/son breeding.

In poultry circles inbreeding is generaly refered to as breeding brother to sister. this can quickly lead to all the defects you think of when you hear "inbreeding"
Line breeding is usually refered to as breeding father to daughter / grand daughter or mother to son / grandson. This method has less risks, but can quickly set desired traits.

I line breed some of our breeds. The Orloff rooster from this past year I plan on using to breed future generations for at least 2 years and uness I get a better one from a son or grandson, I could go as much as five years with him. He's that dang good.

Quote:

In poultry circles inbreeding is generaly refered to as breeding brother to sister. this can quickly lead to all the defects you think of when you hear "inbreeding"
Line breeding is usually refered to as breeding father to daughter / grand daughter or mother to son / grandson. This method has less risks, but can quickly set desired traits.

I line breed some of our breeds. The Orloff rooster from this past year I plan on using to breed future generations for at least 2 years and uness I get a better one from a son or grandson, I could go as much as five years with him. He's that dang good.

the beauty of semantics
smile.png
Like I said, I've been reading about foundation stock and one of the studies mentioned was about parakeets. So this thread made me think of that.

I think you must go back to childhood, you had kids that weretaught to share and those that were taught to not share. I personally am of the mind to share but then again birds are a hobby to me and not my sole source of income.

I think most people with rare breeds that are not selling them are just trying to perfect them and get the number of good specimens up to a safe level. However, I can think of a couple of folks who are not doing a lot for the rare birds they do have, but occasionally offer hatching eggs which they get outrageous prices for. I think some of those folks are a nit motivated by $$$ - I mean, based on their results (and I have a couple of individuals in mind), I would say that they need to ask for some help/collaboration at the very least with some expert breeders, but they are not doing that, either.

one of the things that i have found is that a lot of old time breeders have been burned out selling rare breeds to ppl... a friend of mine told me this story... she had a very rare breed she had been breeding for over 10 years... some one came and offered her over 200$ for a trio and after talking to them she sold to them... 3 days later they called her back and wanted to buy another trio the 1st had been killed by there family dog... she only had 3 trios to begin with so she refused to sell them any more birds... she said it made her want to cry... she has told me that of the more than 100 ppl she has sold birds to in the past 20 years only 5 are still breeding them for 3 or more years... so now she wont sell to anyone that she has not known for at least 5 years and they have to prove to her that they know how to breed and care for the birds 1st...

i have changed my strategy to get rare breeds... find a breeder and then make friends with them... never ask to buy the breeds you are wanting just ask lots of ??? and get to know them... if they like you and they think after a year or so of getting to know u they will usually offer you the breeds you are wanting...

i had one guy give me a start of a breed and tell me that if i still had them and they where doing good after 1 year then he would sell me some of the breed that i really wanted
smile.png

we Americans tend to be impatient and want every thing right now... the animals don't always work that way... and a lot of the old time breeders don't work that way ether...

just my 2 cents worth lol... Elias

Quote:
Think I am gonna have to disagree with your thinking. I have know many reknown breeders over the years and some of the most expensive stock I have ever seen sold was for very ordinary breeds. I saw a Black Tailed White Japanese cock sell for a $1000 one day...not rare by any means and could name numerous other instances. You want to see the really high priced birds? Go talk to breeders of SQ White Wyandottes or White Rocks because they traditionally are winners at shows or some of the varieties of OEG Bantams also.....they are very numerous BUT very expensive!

Part of this sense of "hoarding" is the difference in the mentality of most of those who come onto BYC and others who are dedicated breeders who have spent untold hours and untold amounts of money to raise a breed. I myself have been raising SP Wyandotte Bantams, I am probably one of only a hand few of breeders in the US and I have never sold a bird to anyone and I have been raising them 18 years. Why? Because I do not think they meet the standard in my mind of what a proper SP should look like so I feel as though I should not sell them.
I know of another breeder who has a strain of SQ White Leghorns that he has raised for over 50 years and the strain itself can be traced back to before 1930 and a few selected birds, he does not sell any of them. He has been entrusted as the steward of that variety for over half a century and is attached to those birds just like anyone else would be. I am gonna keep being his friend, maybe one day he would trust me enough to allow me have some of these extraordinary birds.
Differences in personalities I suppose is the main reason. I dont think it is the sense of greed or empowerment. Its pride in your quest for excellence and not settling for anything less.

Quote:
Think I am gonna have to disagree with your thinking. I have know many reknown breeders over the years and some of the most expensive stock I have ever seen sold was for very ordinary breeds. I saw a Black Tailed White Japanese cock sell for a $1000 one day...not rare by any means and could name numerous other instances. You want to see the really high priced birds? Go talk to breeders of SQ White Wyandottes or White Rocks because they traditionally are winners at shows or some of the varieties of OEG Bantams also.....they are very numerous BUT very expensive!

Part of this sense of "hoarding" is the difference in the mentality of most of those who come onto BYC and others who are dedicated breeders who have spent untold hours and untold amounts of money to raise a breed. I myself have been raising SP Wyandotte Bantams, I am probably one of only a hand few of breeders in the US and I have never sold a bird to anyone and I have been raising them 18 years. Why? Because I do not think they meet the standard in my mind of what a proper SP should look like so I feel as though I should not sell them.
I know of another breeder who has a strain of SQ White Leghorns that he has raised for over 50 years and the strain itself can be traced back to before 1930 and a few selected birds, he does not sell any of them. He has been entrusted as the steward of that variety for over half a century and is attached to those birds just like anyone else would be. I am gonna keep being his friend, maybe one day he would trust me enough to allow me have some of these extraordinary birds.
Differences in personalities I suppose is the main reason. I dont think it is the sense of greed or empowerment. Its pride in your quest for excellence and not settling for anything less.

You can disagree all you want! NO biggie to me....
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom