Hoarse Pullet

WesterBee

Chirping
Sep 11, 2023
Central Oregon
My pullet Rainier just laid her first egg today! Very exciting news indeed. During the process she was quite vocal and started seeming like she was straining to “bock” but afterwards her voice was completely normal. I ran an errand, came back to get everyone settled for the night and now she has hardly any voice! I’ve VetRX’d her and am keeping my eye on her but curious if I should isolate her for the time being and if there is anything else I can/should be doing. I’ll attach videos of the egg laying squawk and her now.

Sounds like Stridor which is when they get a piece of food, water or mucous in the airway. This usually resolves on it's own over the course of a day.

I'd also check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight.

As for separating her, that's up to you, but I usually leave my birds with their flock unless they are getting picked at or in a severe state of decline.

@Wyorp Rock You’re the best, thank you for always sharing your knowledge! I definitely plan to check her crop in the morning. I did leave her in the coop with the rest of her mates for the night, they just get unnecessarily bothered when one is away. I will update if things get worse but I have a feeling you’re right. All that reading and Googling I did to try to find a potential cause never resulted in Stridor so I really appreciate your help, thank you!

@Wyorp Rock I am happy to update
that her crop was empty this morning and her voice had returned to normal. Thanks again for nailing down this one for me! I still can’t believe stridor never came up in my books or searching and you really gave me peace of mind. Hopefully this helps someone in the future!

Back
Top Bottom