Hoarse sounding chicken

Karen_at_LittleBrook

Songster
9 Years
Feb 20, 2010
Rome, NY
Hi everyone. Today I noticed that one of my 24 wk old Buff Chantecler hens sounded a bit hoarse & gravely when she spoke. I spend a lot of time w/ my hens and have never heard this before. BUT she's not a "talker" so I wondered if this wasnt her normal sound. I also noticed the other day that she is a loud breather. I could hear the air passing thru her nostril as she sat near my head. She dosent seem stuffy in anyway. There is no discharge from her nostrils. But now with the hoarse voice, I'm worried. I've been searching thru the postings but not sure what to do. She seems to be eat well. Have not seen her drink, tho. Otherwise looks and acts fine. Felt her throat, neck, crop, etc. nothing abnormal. I could not look down her throat. Should I be worried?! Suggestions would be great!
Thanks

This sounds normal to me. I've had some birds that did that too and they always remained healthy. It might not hurt to watch her close for a few days though just to be sure nothing else strang comes up since you don't normally hear her talk this way.

I have a chicken that made normal sounds until this evening. She sounds hoarse, no discharge. I just put her and the other hen in a new run today that was dusty and had old straw. I am worried she got fungus or bacteria from it. I have cleared it all out and put new pine shavings for now. She drank some water I gave her and I have started a humidifier. I am very worried she won't make it. So healthy earlier today. Any advice?
Just lost another one last week from a ruptured lobe of the liver per UC Davis necropsy.

Hi everyone. Today I noticed that one of my 24 wk old Buff Chantecler hens sounded a bit hoarse & gravely when she spoke. I spend a lot of time w/ my hens and have never heard this before. BUT she's not a "talker" so I wondered if this wasnt her normal sound. I also noticed the other day that she is a loud breather. I could hear the air passing thru her nostril as she sat near my head. She dosent seem stuffy in anyway. There is no discharge from her nostrils. But now with the hoarse voice, I'm worried. I've been searching thru the postings but not sure what to do. She seems to be eat well. Have not seen her drink, tho. Otherwise looks and acts fine. Felt her throat, neck, crop, etc. nothing abnormal. I could not look down her throat. Should I be worried?! Suggestions would be great!
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom