Hobbit Hole Coops

I want a Hobbit Hole for *me* to live in, forget my chickens!

I have seen these from a seller that not only makes them for humans but also dogs and chickens, but I can't remember if they sell the already made or just the plans so you build it yourself.

Our coop is a "hobbit hole" inspired coop, but still raised and ventilated. Screened window in the front, functional round door (building a raised stone framed garden and ramp there currently) and the back where the enclosed run is attached had a dutch door.

Our coop is a "hobbit hole" inspired coop, but still raised and ventilated. Screened window in the front, functional round door (building a raised stone framed garden and ramp there currently) and the back where the enclosed run is attached had a dutch door.

That's awesome!
Did you build it yourself?
Pics of inside please?

Yes, no real plans... just my super carpenter father in law, my honey, his mom and me on the aesthetics. The inside is only pretty stark right now since the girls just moved in and are on lock down for two weeks to adjust. I have removed the boxes until they are settled on the roosts. I have some decorative plans too, its all still getting finishing touches. These are of like the day we got it all finished... test installs I guess? Smaller temporary roosts as well.

And seriously? About 15/16 egg layers will pick all the grass in a clean 40x60' space :hmm
Yep. Faster than you can blink an eye.

That is cute! I love the round doors. I would have to have a lot more ventilation for my neck of the woods.

Yes, no real plans... just my super carpenter father in law, my honey, his mom and me on the aesthetics. The inside is only pretty stark right now since the girls just moved in and are on lock down for two weeks to adjust. I have removed the boxes until they are settled on the roosts. I have some decorative plans too, its all still getting finishing touches. These are of like the day we got it all finished... test installs I guess? Smaller temporary roosts as well.

Nice.... I like the black and white.

When you reinstall the nests I'd put them lower than shown here, you want them a good foot lower than the roosts.....
......so they won't sleep, and poop, in the nests.

I'd want more ventilation also....handy as y'all are.....I'd suggest putting 1/2" hardware cloth inside where the clear panel is and raise that clear panel up on blocks somehow.
Then you'd have tons of ventilation up top where it works best, kind of like a ridge vent, the panel would have to over lap the roof a good ways to deter wind driven rain and shed water onto the roof.

It's great coop!!
What are the dimensions...8' x 10'.....and maybe 8-10' tall?

The lower roost is temporary while they're small and the boxes are basically equal to that one. They can be installed one joint lower if I move the feeders somehow, but currently its above the floor about one chicken tall. As for ventilation, the skylight is raised in the middle for drainage and the ends can be left opened or closed (they are always open since the chickens moved in, but were sealed during construction because a very persistent wasp keep trying to make nests) . The window opens to a hardware cloth screen as does the top of the dutch door on the opposite side. The door and window are open all day (unless its heavy downpour, then just the window), and the window on most nights. My biggest hurdle here was making sure it could be shut on all sides effectively due to all the wind and Washington rain. The coop is 6'x8' and about 7' tall. The run is a tad harder to measure as its an organic shape... but its basically taking an entire 6'x300' roll of fencing for the sides and top. Is your concern about ventilation because of the potential smell or the heat?

Back
Top Bottom