Hobbles on adult duck?

sallysinnamon

Songster
9 Years
Dec 4, 2010
south eastern
Hi everybody. I have a question for you. I have a duck with a hurt leg. She laid down in the mud and stayed there as the mud started to solidify. When she jerked her leg out she hurt it. At first she was limping around and seemed okay. I kept my eye on her and she seemed like she was getting better. She was well enough to run completely away from me whenever she saw me knowing that I had my eye on her! Seems like she was bullied by some other ducks and it looks like her condition worsened so I brought her in and crated her. She seems to be regaining strength in her leg, can stand. But has difficulty walking still. I took her to the vet, she said that it looks like she broke the lower part of her leg and suggested hobbles. I've heard of this with baby ducks, has anybody ever heard of this with an adult? She suggested keeping the hobbles on for 3 weeks.. one of my concerns is how do I let her swim to clean herself with hobbles on? I mean obviously I can't unless I take the hobbles off. I have a duck diaper on her in the house, its keeping mess to a minimum. Are the hobbles a good idea or should I look into making her a sling? I asked the vet if hobbles usually work on adult ducks and she kind of insinuated that she didn't know that it was worth a try. The hobbles do help keep her leg under her..I'm just not sure and need more opinions thanks

Wow, this is one of those tough calls. I can see how the vet would suggest trying it.

What it involves, you've already sorted out - she would not be safe in the outside with hobbles. They could get her stuck and possibly injured again or worse.... So she'd need to be a house duck while the hobbles are on.

Might she wear them 18 hours a day, and be allowed to go without them for several hours? That might be a bad idea, I am just thinking out loud.

What about a sling? That would really immobilize her...but it might be worth considering - it would take the weight off her legs...

Being in the house is not a problem, she is already in the house she's been living in a crate for a week and a half now with hobbles since 4 days ago, limiting her mobility even more.. I can't help but wonder how good it is to be hobbled and laying on the legs though. I guess I can try a sling in combination? I guess there is also just a chance that her leg will not be normal obviously.. but I just really want her to be able to get around again..

The vet said looks like she broke her leg? or did she break her leg?
smile.png

Lol. Sorry for the confusion.She didn't xray the leg but felt it and the way it moved a little loosely she said it seemed like she might have..the lower part above the foot..

Being in the house is not a problem, she is already in the house she's been living in a crate for a week and a half now with hobbles since 4 days ago, limiting her mobility even more.. I can't help but wonder how good it is to be hobbled and laying on the legs though. I guess I can try a sling in combination? I guess there is also just a chance that her leg will not be normal obviously.. but I just really want her to be able to get around again..

I feel that you are going to be successful in restoring her mobility. It's going to take some experimenting, as you already know and are doing. Just adding that comfrey salve, or ointment with comfrey in it, may speed the healing process. A German study showed comfrey helps heal. It's topical, but it seems to soak into the skin a bit.

Back
Top Bottom